Cal 2-34 at auction - what to look for?

Jan 16, 2019
Looking Cruiser Victoria, BC
I attended the auction for the Cal 2-34 today. The boat was in better shape than expected inside, with a decent U shaped dinette to port, and galley along the starboard side, with two aft singles (engine access on both sides and below stairs). The engine was an original 2 cyl Farymann with V-drive. There were about 25 people bidding on this and a Paceship 26. A sad revelation came when the auctioneer said the name of the owner (not sure why he would do this?) and it was someone I used to work with who has fallen on hard luck. I considered bidding on it when I heard this, but thought better of it.
The Cal went for $900, and the Paceship for $1000, maybe because it had a 9.9 4 stroke motor.
The mainsail on the Cal was in fairly good shape also, with two other sails in bags. Someone got a solid boat and a project. If I had a bit more time to figure out a plan to transport it to my driveway, I might have bid on it, but I now know that the Cal 2-34 can remain on my list of suitable boats, as the layout was quite funtional, and I like the encapsulated keel.
Thanks to all for providing feedback!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
For many buying a sailboat is a journey not a onetime thing. This is also true of sailing. I guess it makes perfect sense.

Keep looking and refining what you think you expect of this adventure.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
there was very nice freshwater 1 owner cal 34 w a lot of upgrades (elec, sails, bim, dodger, interior... ) on the market for 8K in erie last summer. no takers, and my friend still owns it... it is a sold dry wonderful boat. long ago i read the story of the cal 34 that was modified into an around the world traveler (but alas, the spouse forced me to give away my 30 years' worth of cruising world..)

Nov 13, 2019
Cal 2-34 Ladysmith
in case anyone is interested, I’m the guy that boat the Cal 2-34 in this discussion. The price was next to nothing. The motor was a Farymann R30. Which I replaced with the same, runs great. Also, boat new main sail from Precision Sails, great price and quality. Lots of elbow grease and we had a great summer sailing the Gulf Islands of B.C.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
My that is a nice picture. You put some work into her.
The Gulf Islands are a beautiful place to sail.
So what is your story? Was your $1000 bid accepted? What did you find aboard her when you opened the companion way? How did the motor install go?
You evidently got to cruise her. Where has she taken you?

Feb 3, 2021
Jenson Marine Cal 2 - 34 Huatulco
I bought a CAL 34 in great condition five years ago and have still sunk close to $50,000 into it. OK, I am a perfectionist but you could safely assume $25,000 over a few years. Doesn't matter what make of boat you buy (and Cals are great boats) you can assume a 40 year old boat will need rewiring, new nav system and an engine rebuild. The two deal breakers to look for (if I was buying another) would be a corroded steel beam (which takes the load from the compression post) and an atomic 4 gasoline engine. All other issues are addressable at a not too crazy price.

Oct 22, 2014
Don't get to crazy Justin. Those are Canadian Dollars. :biggrin:

And a CAL of that vintage is usually a solid boat. So some investment is well worth it.