Cal 2-25 - Screwing into bottom of bilge

Grato

Jan 16, 2017
Cal 2-25 MkII Pensacola, FL
Hello,
Recently purchased a 1978 Cal 2-25 that has been meticulously maintained. The bilge pump's integrated float switch is failing and I would like to replace with a manual float switch which requires securing it to the bilge floor. The old unit was just "sitting" in the bottom of the bilge so there are no existing screws I can reference for length. Needless to say I'm a bit concerned about screwing into the bottom of the boat. Can anyone give me a safe screw length?

Thanks so much!
Dave

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
DONT screw into the hull of the boat... how deep is your bilge sump?
a better way of doing it would be to build a bracket to mount the switch on and attach the bracket to the liner or something other than the hull itself... below is a very quick drawing of how mine is mounted on a piece of stainless flat bar ... my sump is about 38" deep and as much as auto switches are nice to have, I have mine mounted about 16 inches above my pump intake, with a bilge alarm wired to it...

this way the switch has less chance of being fouled or becoming inoperable, its easy to check its operation, and IF the water ever does get that deep, it WILL be alarming, while its pumping, because my boat doesnt normally have any leaks (knock on wood:shhh:)
I dont see the need for the bilge pump to run and keep cycling as the boat rocks if there is only a couple inches of water in there.... and until I modify the flat floor of the bilge to create a smaller sump hole for the water to settle into, I havent found a pump yet that will get it all out.

also in my system I have a Beuler BU508TD relay, which allows a person to set the amount of ON time that the pump will run for after the auto switch is tripped.... so with a higher mounted auto switch, the pump will continue to pump down the water for a preset time after the auto switch turns off, so that the water cant reach the auto switch to trip it on until the sump fills again....
auto bilge switch.png

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Like that idea. Been wondering how I would attack this issue. You have given me hope. Nice and simple. My favorite strategy to dealing with everything boat..

Grato

Jan 16, 2017
Great idea John, thank you! Makes so much sense just didn't think of that approach. Really appreciate the response. Hope you get some sailing weather soon. I hear it's been pretty nasty up your way these days!

Be well,
Dave

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nasty is just begins to describe the winter we have had. Getting ready for another series of storms over the next two weeks. The snow promises to disappear currently a pleasant 37 out side with sun, and be replaced be wind and rain. The barometer is currently 1021 with the expectation to drop in the pressures range from 972-978 as the storm tracks over. I think I am going to visit the boat and check the lines.

Grato

Jan 16, 2017
Oops, realized I thanked John for the answer when it was actually Centerline! :waycool:At any rate, yeah, that does sound nasty. I moved from Portland, OR to Florida about 11yrs ago. Loved sailing the NW and Puget Sound but must say I get much more time on the water here! :) Fair winds!

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Oops, realized I thanked John for the answer when it was actually Centerline! :waycool:At any rate, yeah, that does sound nasty. I moved from Portland, OR to Florida about 11yrs ago. Loved sailing the NW and Puget Sound but must say I get much more time on the water here! :) Fair winds!
It doesnt really matter who gets the credit, as long as the information helps;).... but there are times when a question gets answered by several people, and then when a "celebrity" weighs in on the question and offers the same answer, there are those who will stoop down and seemingly kiss the celebrities feet offering personal thanks, without thanking a single soul who gave the same answer to their question earlier.... it kind of puts a long lasting wrinkle in my opinion of people like that:biggrin:....