Caframo air circulator - also under West Marine name

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I use two of these during the winter months on the cabin sole. They were given to me two yrs ago from two different sources. Several days ago, I took them to the boat and plugged em in..I always check the fan to see if it’s turning. Being that they were used when acquired, I did (do) not know what a new one “looks” like WRT to fan speed. This time, one of them had a very slow noticeable fan speed. Took it home and disassembled it and put several drops of “McLube One Drop“ on both end bearings of the motor. Reassembled and WOW! What a difference. Going to do it to the other one. Being these are aboard and running unattended 24/7, I think this might be a yearly maintenance item..They are thermally protected, however....

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
For better air circulation in my boat I have been leaving the head window open year round. The window has a screen so bugs and birds cannot enter. Rain can enter, except when shrink wrapped for winter, but it falls onto the vanity counter and runs into the vanity drain. The drain discharges through the hull below. This window greatly increases the air circulation within the unoccupied boat.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Once the boat is on the hard, leave the sink drains open, a lot of air will rise through the drain. Since the boat is fully covered, I leave several small hatches partially opened.

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
With fans and heaters, it is common for the fan to slow down or stop entirely over the course of the summer. Usually has hair and dust in it. You can sometimes get them going with a blast of compressed air to get it spinning again.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
"Several drops" is way too much. You are basically pouring a liquid (oil) into an electric motor. We use one drop of Tri-Flow each time we dismantle our fans to clean them and have gotten over 5 years out of really cheap 10" 12 volt box fans.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
"Several drops" is way too much. You are basically pouring a liquid (oil) into an electric motor. We use one drop of Tri-Flow each time we dismantle our fans to clean them and have gotten over 5 years out of really cheap 10" 12 volt box fans.
Depends how big your drop is...

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We’ve been using TeaTree in reusable air freshener tubs. We can get a thirty ounce refill fairly cheap. I thought it was a waste but my wife has been happy with the results. Of course we’re talking summer four months.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
A drop is a drop isn't it? 100 or so per teaspoon, 20 per ml.
There are a lot of conditions that define a drop. Mine is what hangs on to the very pointy end of a straight pin. Then, it can be placed exactly where I want it.