Cabinet work

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I made this cabinet and installed it before my boatyard closed due to the virus. My neighbor threw away a mahogany end table. Snatched it up for this project. Nothing like free. The cabinet was a bit of a challenge. It’s not like making a cabinet for your house. Nothing squared in a boat. It will look better when I replace the wood where the stereo is mounted.

My first cabinet with my new router table.

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I made this cabinet and installed it before my boatyard closed due to the virus. My neighbor threw away a mahogany end table. Snatched it up for this project. Nothing like free. The cabinet was a bit of a challenge. It’s not like making a cabinet for your house. Nothing squared in a boat. It will look better when I replace the wood where the stereo is mounted.

My first cabinet with my new router table.
Looks good! Make sure you have a positive latch on the cabinet doors or you'll find its contents on the cabin sole after a good solid puff. ;)

Dec 27, 2012
Any suggestions on small discreet positive latches. Not sure if they still make them. When my 25 year old son was much younger I had child safety latches. They where hidden. They allowed you to open the doors about 1/2 inch then you had to press the release which was inside the door frame.

Jan 11, 2014
Any suggestions on small discreet positive latches. Not sure if they still make them. When my 25 year old son was much younger I had child safety latches. They where hidden. They allowed you to open the doors about 1/2 inch then you had to press the release which was inside the door frame.
These work:

They do need a hole in the door to stick your finger through to release them.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
:clap:Very nice work.

Those are full overlay doors?
If you don't want to put a finger hole in your doors, I have some thoughts, but I'll look around to see what's commercially availible.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Dec 27, 2012
Yes, they are full overlay doors. I would rather not put a hole in the doors. Thanks for your suggestions.

Jan 11, 2014
A child safety lock would work, except small items that would fit through the opening, could fit through the opening and fall out.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Nice work! It might be worth fabricating or finding a simple turn knob on a shaft, to fit a small hole in the center stile, which has a Tee on the inside end that engages simple L shaped wood blocks (or thin piece of bent metal) on the backs of the doors.

The orientation of the turn knob would tell you if doors were secured?

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
How about the magnetic kind? Yea I know they are not Stainless, but they are in your cabin, and you can spray them with clear coat. I don't think it would affect the holding.
But if you are storing heavy objects it might not work. Just a thought.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Nice work! It might be worth fabricating or finding a simple turn knob on a shaft, to fit a small hole in the center stile, which has a Tee on the inside end that engages simple L shaped wood blocks (or thin piece of bent metal) on the backs of the doors.

The orientation of the turn knob would tell you if doors were secured?
:thumbup:

I was thinking of something like that only from underneath.
I spent some unproductive time looking online. I'm sure there's a good system already to buy and install, just need the right search terms.

-Will (Dragonfly)

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
Go to a reaaly good woodworker catalog like garrett wade and see what kind of latches are available. I had the fingerholes w friction cgatches on all my cabinets as oem from nauticat . and virtually every cabinet latched w them was popping open in heavy seas. I fussed w them trying to adjust throw and spring tensions . I finally went to stainless screendoor type latches available in ss or bronze .