cabin wood type & stain

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

emalsyd

i just purchased a 1978 catalina 30. i need to replace some of the wood in the aft sleeping bunk under the cockpit. does anyone know what type of wood was used and the stain if any. i'm assuming it's teak but it has a reddish color. i wasn't sure if it was mahogany.

R

Rodger

try starbord

You might want to consider using Starboard or some other plastic in stead of wood. It would last a lot longer.

E

emalsyd

i was thinking of that

but i was also going to replace my electrical panel and need to replace that wood which is the same type and color. any ideas on the wood or stain?

R

Rodger

You can use Mahogany

When I replace wood like that I use a mahogany plywood. I don't stain anything but I do use a lot of coats of varnish you will get a beautiful finish. Get a lot of it in the end gain of the wood. If you seal up the end grain it will last very well. It is very important to use a marine grade varnish. You can go looking for teak plywood but it is a lot of trouble and expense and I don't think anyone will know the difference but you. Where are you at? Back in the early 70's I lived on and worked on a 70' ketch in Tiverton as a mate. Rodger

E

emalsyd

thanks for the help

i live in cumberland now but i keep the boat in greenwich cove over in warwick.

Status
Not open for further replies.