Cabin water leak

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Anyone had fresh water leak from water line between galley sink area and head on C310? Have checked all known suspects
elsewhere. When freshwater tank under v berth empty all dry. When full water leaking out into bilge.
Everything tight at each end under galley sink and head area. Catalina plumbing drawing did not show
line there but my boat has one. Any guesses welcome.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
I LEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
On my 320 the forward tank under v-berth is higher and will drain to the rear tank if both valves are open, others have reported slight leaks from top of rear tank when both full and valves open if fitted with inspection plate etc.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Could the tank have a crack in it?
The leak flows from an area between galley sink and head area with no tank involve there. Think would be
easy to find because when bilge dry then tank under v berth filled by next day bilge filled almost
half way. Can see some slow filling in that area between galley and head. Maybe crack in line? Have
water pump under galley sink so with pump not running wonder how water could continue to fill
up line? In addition bilge filled up almost to cabin floor then stops? Tank under v berth higher elevation?

Thanks for replies.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
I LEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Apr 16, 2019
Catalina 310 107 Rogersville, AL
I would also check the stuffing box. If you are experiencing even a drip every 15-30 seconds that will fill the bilge in that area in a day or so.

Fleet

Feb 8, 2021
Catalina 310 108 Lake Guntersville
I had a similar problem on my 310. Fill up the water tank and then it ran dry. Water went into the bilge. The problem was a cheap plastic check valve on the cold water side going into the hot water heater. The check valve had actually blown apart and the water from the tank was draining through the broken check valve. I replaced the plastic check valve with a brass one.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
I had a similar problem on my 310. Fill up the water tank and then it ran dry. Water went into the bilge. The problem was a cheap plastic check valve on the cold water side going into the hot water heater. The check valve had actually blown apart and the water from the tank was draining through the broken check valve. I replaced the plastic check valve with a brass one.
Thanks for replies. I did check all tjhru hulls, stuffing box (engine running and off) pulled everything out of
berth under cockpit, including "cover" so could look for any leaks . went back into rudder compartment no water
or moisture. Thanks for good thought about water lines to heater. Will give it another look. Really appreciate that one.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
I LEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Could it be the shower sump drain that goes to the Y valve under the sink?

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Could it be the shower sump drain that goes to the Y valve under the sink?
[/QUOT Not sure how that would work but thanks for the thought.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
I LEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Tomusa

Feb 28, 2018
Catalina 310 295 South Portland, ME
The shower sump / refer drain y valve is not connected to the fresh water.

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
On my 320 the forward tank under v-berth is higher and will drain to the rear tank if both valves are open, others have reported slight leaks from top of rear tank when both full and valves open if fitted with inspection plate etc.
The 310 only has a single tank in the bow.

john2

Nov 26, 2022
Catalina 310 58 Leimuiden
Could be one of the T connections under the head sink, they were leaking in our 310.
John.

SJN

May 30, 2021
Catalina C310 Seattle
My 310, hull 260, has two bow tanks, the standard install plus a smaller additional tank. There is a tee valve under the forward cabin sole to choose what tank will serve vessel needs. You may have that set up as well. However, whether you do or not is mostly irrelevant unless a hose is cracked, a joint loose or a valve leaks. I assume you have looked at those possibilities. Also, fill the bow tank and turn off the supply valve near the tank. If no shut off valve exist near the tank, intall one. If you are still getting a leak, it has to by either a hose or fitting very near the tank or a crack in the tank.

If no leak there, do you turn off the pressure pump and still get a leak when pressure is off? If so, you could start at the lowest bilge point where natural pressure is highest and work uphill from there.

Good luck!

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Could be one of the T connections under the head sink, they were leaking in our 310.
John.
Solved problem. Had two leaks. One from water tank under vberth. When filled pressure forced water out
top of tank screw cap filler area. Second leak was under - and out of sight - t connection under
galley sink. Thanks for all suggestions.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 345
I LEAN TOO
San Jose, CA