Cabin Sole

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Looks like some sort of chemical drip. Can you tell us what it is?

Apr 5, 2019
Catalina 310 323 Brooklyn, NY
I don’t know, stains were there when I purchased the boat. I spilled some coolant in another location and didn’t wipe it all up and it looks just like these marks Maybe some sort of Teak treatmeant would help?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I'm not sure the sole in our C310 is real wood. I have a few spots too.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Let's just call it Lemon juice then. It has bleached, dissolved or eaten through either a very thin veneer or decorative film. If it's wood you may be able to stain it with Minwax using a cue tip or a very fine paintbrush. I think it might be a decorative film and the substrate could be a substance not found in Nature. That might not take the stain. But I don't see a down side of trying it.

Apr 5, 2019
Catalina 310 323 Brooklyn, NY
Catalina put me in touch with the manufacturer of the sole. It’s basically a formica floor. They said once you’ve eaten through that outer veneer you’re pretty much screwed. I’m going to give the floor color markers a try....

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
We had a leaking battery drip acid, creating a similar spot. (I also had to rebuild the battery compartment as no battery boxes when we bought the boat).

I suggest to protect the sole when using any chemicals around the engine. Degreasers, certain sprays will stain/bleach the sole. I have a couple spots close to the engine, that fortunately are under cover.

I like the Minwax idea. What to lose?

Nov 16, 2017
Catalina 310 #246 TX
We had similar spots in the forward berth. The admiral fixed it with stain. Hard to see now.