Cabin sole replacement hunter 28.5

Jan 30, 2012
Catalina 36 Bayfield, WI
I've decided it's time to replace the cabin sole on my Hunter 28.5. There are numerous soft spots and I believe it may be contributing a bad odor that I have been unable to get rid of. So far I have removed all the bungs and screws that hold it down. The tough part is where it tucks under the galley. I really don't want to disassemble the entire galley because everything fits so tight and I am not sure if it will go back together that way. I've seen many boats listed with soles that were replaced. I would like to hear from others who have performed this task and hopefully save myself some time and frustration. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sep 12, 2015
2002 Hunter 356 Oakville
Hi Sail_MN,

On my 85,28.5, I cut the old sole with a small hand held reciprocating saw into two pieces using the lift panel for the bilge as a guide. I also very carefully cut a relief under the galley sink for the main battery sector wiring to slide through. I also needed to cut a small section just aft of the companionway ladder in the engine compartment to allow the two large pieces to come out and fit through the opening of the companionway. I replaced the sole with marine grade plywood and stained it to match the teak and used cetol clear coat on top. I also used a melamine paint on the underside to seal the wood. This was to be only for a season or so until I bought a teak and holly replacement but looked so good I never got around to changing it before I sold the boat. In addition keep in mind you will need to buy two 4X8 sheets in order to replace the entire area and have everything line up in the section forward of the mast compression post and in the aft cabin. I then cleaned the liner for what felt like days under the old sole and pumped out the limber holes, this boat had zero odor once I was done up to the day I sold it. It’s worth doing just to get in and clean this area alone!! Good luck

Jan 30, 2012
Catalina 36 Bayfield, WI
Knotallthere,

Thanks for the reply. Did you end up removing any part of the galley or companion way so the new sole could tuck under it? Also what was your process for pumping out the limber holes? Did you take a garden hose and flush them out? Thanks.

Sep 12, 2015
2002 Hunter 356 Oakville
Use 11.jpg
sail_MN,

I didn't have to remove the galley cabinets but did have to remove the piece that holds the companionway ladder in place (drilled out the teak plugs and removed the few screws holding place) Also I was very careful not to cut to deep otherwise I would score / cut into the fiberglass pan under the sole. I used a shop vac with small hose to fit in the limber holes to pump out any of the water / muck. I didn't flush with extra water, I didn't water to introduce more water between the pan and the hull. I took a look for photos but I wasn't able to locate any at this time. Please let me know if you have any other questions on the 28.5, I went through just about everything on mine over the years that I had her.

Sep 12, 2015
2002 Hunter 356 Oakville
Yes, without removing the trim for the engine compartment I would suggest you have no choice but to put a slice down the middle .You could reinforce the new piece once in place.

Nov 13, 2022
Hunter 28.5 Tanyard Cove
I realize this is an older thread but now I'm in the "same boat" as the original poster and wondering if this is a job I can undertake while docked or if I should wait until I dry dock the boat at the end of the season.
I'm also wondering if I could get away with removing the sole for now and just laying down some rough cut plywood for the rest of the season. I think there had been a deisel leak at some point that saturated into the plywood supports and I can't get rid of the smell. I am having all new cushions made but I dont want to put them in the stinky boat and absorb the odors.
I've tried hot steaming the walls, running an ozone generator and ditching the old cushions. The smell remains and the sole is soft in spots and the plywood supports are rotted.