Cabin side stripes replacement

Nov 18, 2005
Beneteau 323 Brookville, IN
Any insights into the best method to remove and replace the factory stock dual stripes that run along the sides of the cabin top. I have a 2004 model 323.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have a 2004 Bene323 and I honestly cannot remember whether the stripes are in the gelcoat or simply vinyl stripes. If they are vinyl striping, they should peel off relatively easily using a hair dryer and a plastic putty knife. Wipe the surface with acetone before putting on the new stripe. You could also use a heat gun, but that can be too hot. Do it when the heat of the sun can help out. The new double stripe can probably be purchased in rolls from an auto body supply store.

If the stripes are in the gelcoat, forget it.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
moderate heat from a heat gun..... (be careful!). It will loosen it up and release it so you can either just pull as you heat or use a tool to scrape it off. Did it on old boats and will be doing it on my new to me 2005 423.

Good Luck!

Nov 18, 2005
I have a 2004 Bene323 and I honestly cannot remember whether the stripes are in the gelcoat or simply vinyl stripes. If they are vinyl striping, they should peel off relatively easily using a hair dryer and a plastic putty knife. Wipe the surface with acetone before putting on the new stripe. You could also use a heat gun, but that can be too hot. Do it when the heat of the sun can help out. The new double stripe can probably be purchased in rolls from an auto body supply store.

If the stripes are in the gelcoat, forget it.
They are surfaced mounted, unlike the main waterline stripe which is imbedded. Iwas planning on the hair dryer, heat gun approach, thanks for the reinforcement. Big concern is always to not damage/burn the gelcoat.
Thanks,
Bill

Nov 18, 2005
moderate heat from a heat gun..... (be careful!). It will loosen it up and release it so you can either just pull as you heat or use a tool to scrape it off. Did it on old boats and will be doing it on my new to me 2005 423.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the input. Never a fun job. I did it on a 80's vintage Hunter with good success and was interested to seee if anyone had an alternate method. Looks like heat and patience are still the key.
Bill

Sep 19, 2010
Beneteau 41 Deltaville, VA
There are mechanical devices that do a great job, just do a Google search on "vinyl stripe eraser." Basically just a rotating wheel that attaches to a drill. I used to have a 1988 Hunter and the boatyard used this method to quickly and easily remove the fading/peeling stripes from it.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
have never used it however you can get them on Amazon under pin strip remover rubber wheel and auto zone has one by 3m that they stock
They range in price from about $15- $50
Seen them on YouTube they appear to work well.

Nov 18, 2005
There are mechanical devices that do a great job, just do a Google search on "vinyl stripe eraser." Basically just a rotating wheel that attaches to a drill. I used to have a 1988 Hunter and the boatyard used this method to quickly and easily remove the fading/peeling stripes from it.
Thanks John, hadn’t heard of that, will check it out.

Dec 14, 2016
Beneteau 37 Chichester
We've always used a hair dryer rather than a heat gun. It seems to get them hot enough without the risk of burning.

Nov 18, 2005
Thanks to all for the valuable input. I've used both a heat gun and hair dryers in the past and as noted while effective, there is the risk of too much heat and discoloring (burning ) the gel coat. Think I'll try the drill powered 'eraser', pretty cheap on Amazon!