Cabin side sagging...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2012
Catalina 22 Ross Barnett
It appears that the starboard side of my cabin is sagging, causing the side to bow out, and the window no longer fits flush at the bottom. Obviously my window is leaking. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this type of damage? Is it repairable, or is this boat headed for a drawn out cruise to Davy Jones locker??

(PS... You guys are great! I've learned so much just reading...)

Attachments

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
It appears that the starboard side of my cabin is sagging, causing the side to bow out, and the window no longer fits flush at the bottom. Obviously my window is leaking. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this type of damage? Is it repairable, or is this boat headed for a drawn out cruise to Davy Jones locker??

(PS... You guys are great! I've learned so much just reading...)
If you don't keep it dry below and the outside clean and well maintained then it will be sooner then later.
Relax.... it looks like its just the aluminum frame trim popping lose...needs to be removed cleaned and re installed. Before you reinstall trim. See if the port light glass is in good shape and either remove it and replace or maybe not. All you may need to do is just clean around it and recaulk. Then reinstall trim ring. I would always try and keep boat covered with a tarp using the mast for support drapped over the whole boat when at home on the trailer. This will help protect the boat and keep the leaves out of the cockpit and off the deck.

Oct 20, 2012
Catalina 22 Ross Barnett
Thank you Robert... I need to invest in a good tarp that will last more than one season. I've been working on this in my driveway for three years now.
However, the side of the cabin IS bowed. The trim hasn't just popped out... the side is bowed, so the flat aluminum trim will no longer fit flush, unless I bend it. The starboard side does not have this issue. I supposed I've asked a question I knew there was really no solution for.

Quinton

May 6, 2012
Hunter 28.5 Jordan, ON
Does the cabin sag and bow out forward of the window causing the forward bottom edge to also not lay flush? Or does that end of things look normal?

Oct 20, 2012
Catalina 22 Ross Barnett
That end appears fairly normal. If I push really hard, I can force the fiberglass back into shape, and the window is flush. Maybe some really heavy duty screws in the trim? I must note at this point, that the inside trim has been removed... But the cabin sides shouldn't sag regardless? VERY difficult to reinstall inside trim.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
If U can actually push the fiberglass inwards on the cabin sides then the plywood / balsa wood core is rotted out & will need to be recored to give it proper strength & shape again.
It is easier & will look better if it is replaced from the inside of the cabin, by cutting the inner liner at the affected area. A roto zip tool such as a dremel tool makes quick work of cutting the inner fiberglass liner in a clean cut. This way you can re-use the section you cut out to patch where the repairs to the core are to be made. Search the site for core repair as there are many links on this procedure. Tedious process but is necessary & worth it to maintain structural integrity of the cabin sides & deck.

Oct 20, 2012
Catalina 22 Ross Barnett
Geez louise... that sounds like MUCH more than I bargained for. However, it IS reassuring to know SOMEONE thinks it can be repaired. My biggest fear is throwing too much money into my hole in the water.
I'm terrible at fiberglass repair... but thank you for the information. I'll search for the links.

Dec 11, 2010
catalina 27 Chicago
Yes, that's a pretty serious structural problem. Undoubtedly the core damage extends down and out into the adjacent horizontal deck area Trying to use the window and trim to pull it back into shape isn't going to cut it. I would expect the window and frame to fail catastrophically. Jrowan is absolutely right, that is going to take some serious core repair work. I would suggest that you would have to open up quite a large section and do some serious core re=lamination work to restore the shape rigidity to that whole area. I would do soundings (tap with screwdriver handle) to try to determine the perimeter of the damage and then figure cutting the liner at least 4" bigger in as many directions as possible. Going by that should give you an idea as to weather it's worth the time and effort.

cjb300

May 29, 2012
Catalina 22 Mandeville, LA
I am not sure that is a cored part of the cabin top. have you removed the frames and glass? i wonder if it is just buckled and if you cant push it back?

CJ
Covington, LA

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
your core could be fine, but if the bedding of the compression post under the tabernacle has failed top or bottom, due to either rot or fiberglass failure it can cause this problem. usually a rotted core wont cause your windows to pop out, but when you lose your compression post it can cause your cabintop to collapse and your windows to do exactly what yours is doing. compression post repair is way simpler than a recore... good luck.

Oct 20, 2012
Catalina 22 Ross Barnett
I haven't taken the window completely out, but you may be right that it isn't cored in that area. I need to investigate further. I had PLANNED to go to the lake Saturday and try out my new mainsheet... But Mother Nature did not agree. I haven't gotten the cold weather sailing ambition yet...
And my compression post is in good shape... My cabin is sagging only at that one window.

cjb300

May 29, 2012
Maybe you should pull that window and frame and do the resealing of it and reinstall - maybe when you tighten the inner frame to the out frame it will cause the buckle to pop back to normal?

Oct 20, 2012
Catalina 22 Ross Barnett
That's what I'm thinking cjb300. But DANG whatever the window was previously sealed with is TOUGH! I'm having to be extremely careful not to permanently crease the aluminum window frame prying it loose.
I'll let everyone know how it goes. Thanks for all the input!

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
qfrasier said:
That's what I'm thinking cjb300. But DANG whatever the window was previously sealed with is TOUGH! I'm having to be extremely careful not to permanently crease the aluminum window frame prying it loose.
I'll let everyone know how it goes. Thanks for all the input!
Try using a multi tool.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I'm pretty positive that all Catalinas used either balsa or plywood coring in all of the decks, cabin top & cabin sides in order to give structural rigidity & save weight. I have removed ports in every Catalina that I've owned in order to rebed the port lights in our C22, C25 & C30. All similar in cosntruction, just heavier duty in the C 30. There is a 1/8" to 1/4" thick outer gellcoat & polyester fiberglass layer, inner balsa core at non- stress load areas such as the cabin house sides, (plywood used around higher stress loads at deck fittings) & an inner fiberglass liner sealing this sandwich. If the window frame is pushing out & deformed it is most likely core rot, where its loosing strength & deforming.
I doubt that its from compression post rot, as if it was that severe it would cause a very noticeable indention in the cabin top beneath the mast where compression fatigue would be seen. When you pull the aluminum port frame you can readily see the core material itself on the inner perimeter of the window opening. It was not sealed properly by Catalina, & any moisture that works its way in can cause the core material to delaminate & rot from within. If it looks really bad & your not willing to recore it then you're better off selling her to someone that is. Sometimes its a lot easier & less costly in the end to buy a boat in better condition then to restore a basket case. There's not such thing as a free or cheap sailboat. Good luck.

cjb300

May 29, 2012
On my 1974 Catalina 22 there was no core on the cabin sides when i took the windows/frames out and resealed them. There was the outer hull and the inner liner and a gab in between.
CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.