Cabin re-do on S2 23

Sep 18, 2016
S2 23' Interlochen, Michigan
My first post on this site, and I look forward to many more. Just purchased a 23 and wondering if any of you have attempted to re-do the cabin with wood? If so, did you remove the carpeting, or did you glue the wood over it? The voice in my head says, "Leave it alone", but, you know the rest. Thank you for your comments.

Yrs,

Mike

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Carpet has no place on a boat. (my opinion) Get rid or it. Most carpet installations that I have seen have serious mold issues. (including a previous boat I owned) If you cover it with wood you a just fooling yourself into thinking that the problem is gone.

51RD55

Jul 13, 2015
Hunter 31 Toronto
If by carpeting you mean the stuff glued onto the walls, I removed it all last year when we purchased the boat. The stuff was 31 years old, and had stains on some of it from dirt, some from mold (water leakage) etc... I painted the walls with a paint that has mildew inhibitors. For the v-berth, we covered it with a paneling from Lowe's that is used as a backsplash in kitchen renovations and the main cabin is painted a colour. At present, the head walls are painted but will be finished next spring with some vinyl sheet flooring. The panels in the v-berth are velcroed and so it is easy to see what is going on behind them.

Sep 18, 2016
Thank you for getting back to me. When you removed "the stuff glued to the walls" was there any amount of residual glue left and did it come off easily? I'm assuming when you used the Lowe's paneling you glued it on? Thanks again.

Yrs,

Mike

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i recovered my head line area with oflin boat carpet ...it has a rubber backing and the oflin will not mildew...then i replaced all the wood panels and bulkheads with new teak plywood of the appropriate thickness

Sep 18, 2016
Thanks, Woodster. When you replaced the head line carpet, did it come off easily and how much scraping, if any, did you have to do to remove the old glue?

51RD55

Jul 13, 2015
Hunter 31 Toronto
The residual glue and some fuzz left behind was worse in the v-berth for some reason and quite difficult to pull off. Those walls were sanded in those areas fuzzy areas and auto body filler put on some patches. This allowed the panels to adhere to the velcro strips.

Sep 18, 2016
Thanks. I may just get started on this before it starts snowing up here , but most likely will wait. Sounds like more than a few days of labor.