Cabin lighting issues?

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
I did a few searches and didn't find a thread on this so I thought I'd share my info.
Over the years my cabin light switches have individually become intermittent then stop all together. After a season of not using the boat (last summer) this year most of them didn't work. In the past I have soldered new switches in, 1 offs not a big deal. But this year I had 10+ to do. I had been buying the switches at radio shack for nearly $5 a piece.

So this year I thought I would change the fixtures, then I priced them. I decided to look for switches again. I found Micro mini switches on Amazon. $5.88 for 10! add shipping $5. So I started pulling them out 3 or 4 at a time. These switches are a pain to solder because they are so small you have to be careful not to overheat them, it destroys them quickly. I just finished the last 3. I did ruin a couple of switches until I bought a set of helping hands, which I will have for future projects.

If you can solder and want to spend an extra hour on it you can avoid buying all new fixtures.

Attachments

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Thanks for this post. I've had 3 out of of 4 of these out for over 10 years (and may have been longer) and just never bothered to fix them. I am going to buy these switches, a soldering iron, helping hand, and fix these this summer. In addition, I am going to change all 14 of my G4 halogen bulbs to LED 1.2 watt replacements. I run the generator all the time so DC power consumption is nit a big deal to me but the LED lights are 1.2 watts versus 10 each currently installed.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
if you get a low wattage soldering iron you won't burn up the switches something like 25 watts will do and also keep the tip free of solder