Cabin Led lights

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
MarineBeam are the best, but do cost more. But you'll know they work. There is some controversy over changing exsisting nav lights to LED. The fixtures are only USCG approved with the original bulbs whatever type that was. USCG only cares about that for what the boatbuilder installs, not what an owner changes to as long as the colors remain correct. Using "warm white" led's in the colored lights will give correct colors. "Cool white" makes them a little too blue. Should one have a collision after dark with converted lights the other guys lawyer might make an issue of it.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Interesting that you should mention fluorescent. I have a 2 tube fixture in the ceiling. One tube has a red sleeve over it, so I can flip the switch one way and get red light and the other way to get white light. I didn't even think to look for LED replacements. It looks like MarineBeam has them. I can get one in red. This is the main light over the galley.
Wouldn't you know it. My new LED 'tubes' were waiting for me at home after we got back from our sailing weekend. A project for next time. They included instructions for bypassing the ballast. :thumbup: