Cabin Led lights

Tim22

Jun 16, 2014
Hunter 310 Ottawa
I am thinking of replacing some of my small round cabin lights with led's. ( see photos) . Any suggestions for a reasonably priced replacement. I have 6 switched and 3 unswitched lights. Also, does anyone know the size of the cutout for these. I'm not at the boat so can't measure.

Thanks
Tim

Attachments

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Check out the aqua signal web page. From what I (didn't) see there you'll need to unmount the fixture to find out the size you have. Did you look into simply replacing the bulbs? Most vendors have LED equivalent. Most available right on this site!

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Hi Tim, we replaced all of our cabin lights with these RV style LED's. They are sold as a double lamp with 3-way switch (off, 1 lamp, 2 lamps) and also as a single unit. They are flush mount with 4-6 self tapping screws...easy-peasy!

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Fi...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1KG6DB9D9TPWKKRJZM88

These were slightly larger than the original and covered over any holes/wires that were pre-existing.

LED Cabin Lights.jpg

Tim22

Jun 16, 2014
Hunter 310 Ottawa
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked out Marinebeam.com and they were most helpful in providing information on replacement bulbs. A lot cheaper than replacing the entire fixture so I will probably replace all the bulbs.

I do, however, need to replace my nav lights and see that marinebeam has it's own line at very competitive prices. Has anyone tried them? I need to replace the stern white light and the bow port/starboard combo. I'm presuming the leds are ok but wonder about the durability of the housing.

Thanks for any comments

Tim

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Based on an earlier thread, we went with MarineBeam LED bulbs. We put their red/white one in the ceiling light next to the companionway thinking red would get us down the steps without messing up night vision. In the reading lights I bought different brightness LEDs and have been experimenting with which ones work best for reading or general illumination. Then we'll complete the conversion. Also have their festoon running lights, anchor, steaming and deck light LEDs.
Polarity is the main thing to be aware of.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I had Halogen lights and replaced the halogen bulbs with these. Very nice light and fits the G4 halogen base. Each is 2 watts, previous halogen was 20 watts, so all 10 are now 20 watts versus 200 watts with halogen. Put them in this spring and very satisfied so far.

Price was under $20 for 10 bulbs. Search Amazon and you will find a similar price today. The ones I bought are in the link but when I searched for th same product they were Prime for $18 and Change.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSHMECR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tim22

Jun 16, 2014
Hunter 310 Ottawa
Thanks Jerry
I have ordered the 10 pack. I see some of the reviews say the bulbs flicker but others say no problem. Anyway, at that price it would be one of my cheaper mistakes!!

Thanks
Tim

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Marinebeam is the way to go. Constant Voltage regulated.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
For my interior, I used bulk Chinese bulbs off of e-bay. Even replaced the florescent bulbs with strips of COB LEDs. Major power reduction, more light, and no issues in the year since completed. Steaming light came from autozone. I replaced the little lights in my instruments with blue LEDs, but they are too bright. I will probably change them to red LEDs at some point soon. I have not yet replaced my other nav lights.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Interesting that you should mention fluorescent. I have a 2 tube fixture in the ceiling. One tube has a red sleeve over it, so I can flip the switch one way and get red light and the other way to get white light. I didn't even think to look for LED replacements. It looks like MarineBeam has them. I can get one in red. This is the main light over the galley.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Interesting that you should mention fluorescent. I have a 2 tube fixture in the ceiling. One tube has a red sleeve over it, so I can flip the switch one way and get red light and the other way to get white light. I didn't even think to look for LED replacements. It looks like MarineBeam has them. I can get one in red. This is the main light over the galley.
If they are fluorescent bulbs you will need to remove the ballast in order to use led tubes. I did this on my fluorescent light fixtures, it is easy to do.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If they are fluorescent bulbs you will need to remove the ballast in order to use led tubes. I did this on my fluorescent light fixtures, its. It hard.
They mention that in the description. I'm game. I was an avionics tech in my early days.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
I looked at those, but went with cheapies. two per fixture.
6x White Car COB LED Light Waterproof DC 12V High Luminance DRL Fog Driving Lamp $8.99

cob led lights.jpg

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Here is what I did for the dome lights
Dome Lights.jpg

This is what I did for the reading/spot lights
2016-03-23 23.39.51.jpg

2016-03-23 23.39.16.jpg

Here is the florescent before
2016-03-23 23.57.12.jpg

2016-04-17 12.42.59.jpg

Replacing the tube with COB LED
2016-04-17 13.23.33.jpg

After
2016-03-23 23.58.23.jpg

Tim22

Jun 16, 2014
Hunter 310 Ottawa
Jerry
Thanks for the tip. I installed the leds yesterday and they work well. The light is a little warmer than I expected but nice even light and no flicker.

Tim