Cabin Heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark

I am a proud new owner of a 1988 Cat 30. I want to install a cabin heater, and am looking for advice. I like the Force 10 Cozy Cabin Heater. Is it personnal preference between diesel or propane? How about ease of installation? Any other reliable heaters out there?

H

Hayden Watson

forced air is best

If you plan to use your boat a lot in cool weather, you might consider one of the forced air heaters. I have the Arctic heater sold by Scan Marine. It has the advantage of a thermostat and all the same safety features that your home furnace has. You can leave the heater running at night or when you are off the boat with complete safety. The force 10 must be monitored and it is recommended that you never leave it burning at night. You also need to open a hatch to let in fresh air. If this isn’t done you run the possibility of suffocation because the heater can consume all of the oxygen in the boat. A forced air heater heats outside air and blows it around the boat. This completely gets rid of the condensation you usually find in boats in cool weather. With this heater we have a season in Spokane from April to November.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Agree with Hayden

If you nedd anything like serious heat, go for the forced air. You'll need a good battery bank, and installation is not easy, but once it's done you've got an ideal system. If you can budget enough for the system, go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.