Cabin Heat

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Looking for an economical way to take the chill out of our boat. If I do launch this season I will probably be hauling late. Mornings can be chill. 40-50 degrees. Has anyone ever installed a coolant heater/exchanger like this?

Doesn‘t look to complicated to install.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Had one on our power boat years ago. It was great on a power boat, while moving, but on a sailboat or power boat, when out cruising, the engine does not get very warm when trying to run the bus heater, at anchor, to take the chill off in the morning. Install is quite easy but I would advise plumbing in a bypass in-case the HX in the unit fails.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
plumbing in a bypass in-case the HX in the unit fails.
Can a standard ball valve be used in the supply and return lines as a bypass? I've been trying to find a 5/8 x 5/8 x 5/8 "T" or "Y" to tie into the heater hose that isn't plastic. What are your thoughts on running the T off the hoses just behind the water heater. Not sure if it should be serial or parallel connection too? A simple plumbing job that I am overthinking???

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Boiling water for a hot cup of coffee seems to do it for me. Another option is a kerosene lamp.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Boiling water for a hot cup of coffee seems to do it for me. Another option is a kerosene lamp.
Got them both and use those methods. Problem with a propane stove is it puts too much moisture in the air. Used to make tea and warm some desert in the oven before bed. We just grin and bear it. Someday I will install a Wallas hot air furnace but for $135 I thought this might an option for this coming October.