CABIN FLOOR OF HUNTER 260

Apr 23, 2018
Hunter 260 Miami
Water seems to be accumulating on the right side of the floor right in front of the stairs. The old owner put in an inlay on the floor and water seems to be accumulating under it. It isn't a great amount so I'm thinking it is coming from the sliding hatch. I am wondering what was there originally as we are planning to put in sea deck in the cabin. The owners manual just shows a green lined area, which I assume was an inlay on the floor...Any ideas?

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Original is teak and holly plywood. Think it’s 1/4”. It’s inserted in a recess in the fibreglass.

Oct 10, 2010
Hunter H260 Gull Lake
I just removed my floor. I had water sitting in it unknowingly and really damaged it. I tried some repairs but unfortunately it was too far gone. The floor was indeed 1/4" an was installed with either 5200 or more likely liquid nails. Either way, it's quite a chore to remove it. I purchased some cheap synthetic faux teak flooring from a Chinese web site. I'm happy with the quality of the product, just haven't installed it yet. Spring project. It came in a 4 x 8 foot roll and it cost $120 Canadian.

Apr 23, 2018
Hunter 260 Miami
thank you...we will probably do same. Did you ever figure out where the water was coming from?

Oct 10, 2010
Hunter H260 Gull Lake
thank you...we will probably do same. Did you ever figure out where the water was coming from?
oh yes. someone stored a wet dingy on the floor and then closed everything up for a long while. did wonders for the floor. I haven't figured out how to download pictures yet to show you.

Oct 10, 2010
Hunter H260 Gull Lake
Figured out how to attach pics. Cant seem to do it from the phone app I don't think.

In the last pic you can see the remains of where the liquid nails was holding the floor down and how it was originally applied. Those were the real challenging areas to clean. I finally used a product called SC400 to clean up those hard areas and it worked really well. You can get it from Acklands in Canada. In all, it was much more difficult to do than I imagined, but feasible to do.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The interior floor pan has a molded in section to accept a teak and holly floor held down with liquid nails. There is a bead around the floor and floor pan to keep water from intruding under the floor itself. If water is sloshing out between the seam or you can hear water under the floor means the bead broke. In some cases you can dry the water out but the bead has to be repaired. Then you have to find the leak.

I would suggest the two areas to look at involving the companionway slider. First look at the handle. Easy to fix if leaking. Second is the teak stop on top of the slider. Suggest two people taking off the slider and remove. Recaulk from side to side because if that seal is broken water has a tendacy to drip down onto floor.
A permanent solution is to purchase a companion way cover as that will take care of that. You would need to put for example a square throwable cushion under it to help deflect water. If you already have the pop top cover, order without connectors and put them on yourself so they will match the pop top connectors

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
Hunter 26 lake Powell lake mead
My floor was ruined by water I just cut foam tile to fit figured if I have little ones onboard it would soften a fall through the companion way.

Oct 10, 2010
Hunter H260 Gull Lake
My floor was ruined by water I just cut foam tile to fit figured if I have little ones onboard it would soften a fall through the companion way.
hi Jim. I tried the same thing with those rubber floor foam mats that fit together like puzzle pieces. I cut them to fit into the molded section that Dave spoke about, and got a nice color to jive with my interior. they work great until some water migrates under it. That foam floor quickly becomes a launching pad as I had several guests do a butt plant after stepping off the stairs. I did not steal mine around the edge as Dave mentioned nor tacked it down with a spray glue as I wanted it to be removable. Just a heads up for you.

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
hi Jim. I tried the same thing with those rubber floor foam mats that fit together like puzzle pieces. I cut them to fit into the molded section that Dave spoke about, and got a nice color to jive with my interior. they work great until some water migrates under it. That foam floor quickly becomes a launching pad as I had several guests do a butt plant after stepping off the stairs. I did not steal mine around the edge as Dave mentioned nor tacked it down with a spray glue as I wanted it to be removable. Just a heads up for you.
I didn’t remove my floor I just laid cut to cover the entire floor over wood

Oct 10, 2010
Hunter H260 Gull Lake
OK, I misunderstood. Can you open the door to the head with the mat on top of the floor? That is an easy mod for a bad floor.

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
OK, I misunderstood. Can you open the door to the head with the mat on top of the floor? That is an easy mod for a bad floor.
Yes but I actually removed the door just hang a curtain if needed I felt like the door was always in the way opening and closing.