cabin fabric

Status
Not open for further replies.

rudym

Nov 6, 2012
S2 S2 9.2C Portland OR
recently purchased a S2 9.2C, generally in good condition except the fabric liner in the cabin is badly stained and shedding fibers. Any ideas on cleaning and/or sealing? Can this material be painted? Any help appreciated

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I am replacing the liner in the Luger with foam backed headliner material. I will bond with spray adhesive the headliner material to some 1/4" thick corrugated plastic panels. I picked up some at a surplus yard 2'x8' panels for $2 a piece. The headliner was also inexpensive at $10/yd, material is 72" wide. I will bond strips of the corrugated plastic to the fiberglass ceiling as stringer. The corrugated panels cut easily and conform to the curves easily. I will attach the covered panels to the stringers using Velcro. By doing it this way I will be able to remove them if needed to service or add deck hardware.
There is a 42 minute detail youtube video at Sailrite that demonstrates how it is done.
If you search Sailrite Installing removable cabin headliner you will find it.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2011
S2 9.2a Bradenton
i am stripping the wall fabric off and painting the surface to make it brighter inside... the headliner, I would replace if it were in bad shape.... but that maybe a tuff project to make sure all the bolts and fasteners are accessible .... and or to make sure they dont leak thru onto the new head liner...

Sep 25, 2008
Harpoon 5.2 Honolulu, HI
I cleaned my headliner, pulled the 'wall carpet' in the main cabin and painted, and pulled the wall carpet in the vee berth and put vinyl up there. One day I'd like to do the wood strips on the walls in the main cabin but I haven't had the time.

Jul 30, 2012
S2 8.0C Ocala
When you pulled the wall carpet did you have to sand the interior walls before painting?

Mar 23, 2011
S2 9.2a Bradenton
You can wash the walls with lacquer thinner and rag first, to get rid of the glue.

Oct 14, 2013
S2 7.3 Augusta
How did the painting turn out?

Just bought a 7.3, the fabric liner is gone, just glue on the walls. Planning to clean as much as possible, then paint.

Since a couple of you have done this...

How did it turn out? What do you wish you knew when started?

Did the laquer thinner work well, or did you find something else?

Pictures anyone?

Thanks.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Sailrite Material

You could probably just glue the foam backed Sailrite material to the fiberglass to replace the existing material. It is just glued on. However, getting it to look good might be another thing. Smaller panels will make it easier to manipulate, in which case some sort of batten will look nice and cover the seams.

I am surprised nobody has though of just using vinyl flooring. Easy to clean.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Re: Sailrite Material

Easier than vinyl flooring it those one foot square tiles...just depends how AR you are about the look.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
There is a great video on Sailrite on glueing the material to panels and then Velcroing the panels to the ceiling. If you need to repair or add deck hardware the panels are easily removed and replaced. The seams are very neat and finished looking. The walls are simply attached with adhesive spray. I bought my headliner at an upholstery shop for about $8/yd. The roll is 72" wide.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I like that the nuts for the hardware are exposed. It makes it easy to detect a leak. Plus i will take all the headroom i can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.