Cabin cushions 88 Macgregor 26D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
Foam (and any plastics) has gone sky high in price. You can make your own cushions and save a lot of money. It is a great first sewing project. The newer foams are great for support. I think that the left side cushion should be cut into at least two separate cushions, and you can do this mod when you make your own. Craigslist is a great source for cheap sewing machines. I like Sunbrella for cushion covers.

Dec 20, 2009
MacGregor 26D Fort Worth
Thanks, I was thinking about doing this but I'm not sure if I have the time or patience.

Dec 20, 2009
MacGregor 26D Fort Worth
Great idea Timebandit, looks good and easier than sewing. Did you use a special fabric?

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
It is denim I got from JoAnns.

I'm kinna a jeans and tee shirt guy.

One thing I did learn was to wrap the foam in 'batting' first before covering.

Sep 9, 2009
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Orleans Trail Lake Stockton
The Admiral and I was wondering if you have any other pictures of your cushions. We like the no sewing idea and they look really good. Was it marine grade 3/8"? What kind of staples? Is that Sunbrella Pacific Blue? We have a similar boat and are battling cabin fever with cabin projects.:dance:

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
I just went out and took some photos.
http://s361.photobucket.com/albums/oo57/Tmebandt/?newest=1

If I was to change anything I would put a 1 inch thick styrofoam insulation between the foam and the wood.

Four inch foam, one inch styrofoam wrapped up in batting then
put on a board and covered.

The area next to the hull is just 1/4 plywood with one inch foam but it is nice to lean aginst with your legs out straight when reading or just kicking back.

Plywood has a curve to it so make sure you have the crown side up When finished so when you pull the fabric it pull the edges up and it will not curel up the edges.

My boat is really just set up for two adults to over night but if the weather is nice you can sleep two in the cockpit and one more on the quarter berth and one more accross the rear seat using the ice chest to fill the gap.

We drank to much waiting for the fireworks the 4th of july!:D

Sep 9, 2009
Thanks a bunch timebandit! Ours will be set up for mostly just Shirley and I. The pictures helped us a lot. Now we just have to find a good source for the material. Like the curtain idea for heat control too. Finally got the Admiral really interested in the "project" and now she is plotting color schemes. She says she will buy me a genny this spring! Unbelievable...there is a higher power...>><<Tripps

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
I would be leary of stripes and small patterns that may show lines or pattern matches between upper and lower cushions or lines that show curves when they should be straight.:eek:

Ah, the curtain that serves so many uses.:dance:

Enlarges the head:D

A place to change:D

Lets sleeping dogs sleep:naughty:

Helps with heat control:D

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Timebandit, I'm thinking about doing this also.

I tried to look up "batting" and it seems to refer to the foam cushion.

If you don't mind, can you describe what the batting is in more detail and how you use it... how is it different than the foam?

Also, I wonder if Sailrite has stainless steel staples.

TIA

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Batting--
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=prd5508

I used Stainless staples from Home Depot then they changed over to the "Monel--rustproff", 66% nickel--33% copper.

I have used these on different projects and they have not rusted yet and them seem to be stronger and bend less when using.

Hopes this helps.

Timebandit, I'm thinking about doing this also.

I tried to look up "batting" and it seems to refer to the foam cushion.

If you don't mind, can you describe what the batting is in more detail and how you use it... how is it different than the foam?

Also, I wonder if Sailrite has stainless steel staples.

TIA

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Ja no the best part of doing it this way is if you screw it up you just pull the staples and start over.

Hint--start with one staple in the middle of a side then pull to the other side (just one staple each side), do the same thing 90^.

Work from the middle to the corners staple wide 4 Inch to start then go back and fill in.

Corners last.

Sep 9, 2009
Thanks for the info Time Bandit! Our material comes in week from tomorrow (ordered a full bolt so color would match). My brother works for an international mattress company as an engineer and got us some big pieces of 2" high density foam used on mattresses. I am so into getting rid of that dog awful brown and tan nylon tweed that is 25 yrs. old. It is durable but so 60s...need a pole lamp and black and white TV with it!

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Thanks Timebandit.

CaptTripps, I'm thinking of accenting my LED lighting with one of these

Sep 9, 2009
Haaaaa...disco fever! Put a strong light on it in the middle of the lake at night and get reported as a USO!!!

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Pictures of my sew-less seat cushion job on a 26S. I did three cushions total, two on the port, one on starboard. A mod a long time ago had reduced the length of the port cushion already - spot for either a day ice chest or large ice chest just across from the head.

The cushions all have 3/8 inch plywood backing with "registration" wood blocks to keep them from sliding. Access to the storage areas is easy, just lift the seat. 3/8 turned out to be a little thin for the way I used these (the wood supports your weight) so I had to glass the bottom side which is in tension. Splitting the port seat in two had the added benefit of being able to use 54 inch wide sunbrella cloth for all the seats without any sewing.

The stock boat has seat back cushions which I dumped. I have to use a throw pillow regardless to be comfortable and really didn't notice much difference with or without the back cushion - so the got tossed.

This mod added maybe 10 to 12 pounds to the weight of the boat.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.