Cabin Cushion Snaps

Giro

Jul 23, 2019
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Monterey
I recently replaced all our cabin cushions with new, custom cut 3” thick foam. In typical fashion, all the hard surfaces (port and starboard inside hull walls as well as bulkhead surfaces) are fixed with stainless steel snaps that correspond with those snaps on the back of each respective cushion.
My problem is that after I detached the cushions from the hard surfaces for cleaning, it is virtually impossible to reattach the snaps again. The snaps all line-up perfectly, but I can’t seem to be able to “push” the snaps together because I can’t seem to be able to apply the pressure needed to snap the snaps together behind the cushions. Am I the only person with this dilemma, or is there a simple answer to this that I’m missing? Any help would be welcomed and appreciated.
Giro

Giro

Jul 23, 2019
I failed to mention that the 3” foam was placed inside custom made Sunbrella marine grade canvas.
Giro

Jul 23, 2019
Hunter 18.5 Revelstoke
Try some lip balm or bees wax on both side of the snaps to lubricate them, there is a commercial product that does the same thing for way more money

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Lub them and I have round Velcro disks that hold the cushions in place no snaps.
Nick

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Are you pushing the snaps through the foam? My seat back cushions have fabric flaps you can stick your fingers in to push directly on the snaps.

Giro

Jul 23, 2019
Thanks to those who took the time to give their much appreciated advise. Your suggestions have given me the confidence to try the lube method first and if that doesn’t work I’ll go the Velcro method.
Giro

Giro

Jul 23, 2019
Are you pushing the snaps through the foam? My seat back cushions have fabric flaps you can stick your fingers in to push directly on the snaps.
Before I had the new cushions installed, there were flaps. The new ones were made without flaps.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Is it possible that these are not matching size. If so replace the stationary side.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You know.... command strips now make a velcro like strip. The are marketed for hanging pictures and because of the velcro, you can reposition them until the Admiral approves....:poop:

But I can't help but think these would be a great way to hold cushions in place.

AND you would not have to drill any holes into your gel coat to put them in place. I have a few command strip hooks in my boat and they have held up for years.

Giro

Jul 23, 2019
Yup, I think the Velcro concept is the way to go!
Thank all of you for your help!
Giro
Home Port Monterey, CA