Cabin curtains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I got tired of looking at expensive cabin curtain kits for the C22 and finally just did it with some cafe rod brackets, some 1/2" oak dowels sanded and varnished smooth, some material cut up from some thermal backed 48" x 84" curtain panels and some time spent on the sewing machine. I thought about adding a rod pocket at the bottom to hold them against the cabin wall a little better but decided to keep it simple at first and see how these work for now. The best part for all the budget minded sailors who wish to sleep late and sail later, the total cost was about $40.

Attachments

Dec 11, 2010
MacGregor 26x Hayden AL
Nicely done.

I took some "j" type wire clips and removed a couple of window screws on each window. Attached the clips on the screws and used an arrow with the fletching and knocks removed for rods. Hey, they are carbon fiber... Then, for now I cut an old bed sheet and used the hem on the top and bottom to slide my rods through. I'm gonna find some better looking sheets and have the wife hem the bottom cut and leave them. The arrows were old ones...3 dollars each at Wally world, the clips I had. I hung them up leaving them too long and just trimmed them with scissors at the right length.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Wow, and I thought I was the king of bargain basement boat upgrades, looks like I have a lot to learn. My sister in law sews for a living and made me a small sample curtain to bring back home with me and use for a guide. She used a printed fabric on the outside and bleached muslin on the inside and I guess I was too lazy and cheap to pick out a color/pattern and then muslin so I went with the thermal backed panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.