C380 Vs C400 -- why did you choose yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jon Arck

We're considering moving up from a C34 Mk II to a C380 or C400. If you considered both, which did you buy and why? Given the choice again, would you still select the one that you did? thanks, Jon Arck Tweety Bird San Francisco

D

Donna

More cockpit room

Having looked at both, I decided on the Catalina 400 since the dual steering allows so much more room to move around and "live" in the cockpit than does the 38, which like the Catalina 34 is a real squeeze to move past the wheel to the helmsman's seat or to the walk-through transom.

M

Myrna from Washington

We chose the 380 mainly because of the size. It just seemed too big for us at this point. Also, it has 2 heads. Now maybe someone else will think that is wonderful, but thats twice the "head"ache both in cleaning and repair. I have also heard that the two wheel system leaves something to be desired, but that was hearsay. We liked the 380 (are still waiting final rigging) because of the interior. My husband is 6'5 and fits well inside. I like the availability of the engine, if you ever had to get to it. Of course the master stateroom is wonderful. We have also heard that she sails beautifully. We wanted a good sailer and I guess that is another reason. The 400 is just that much bigger and although performance is probably good, we think it will be better on the 380. Good luck!

G

gary

c400

I bought the 400 because of the cockpit area and the living space below. 2 heads have not been a problem yet. the engine is easy to get to it opens up in both the frount and rear.

R

Ron Marcuse

Both boats are good

You won't go wrong with either the 400 or 380, but I suggest that you sail both yourself. In the end, it's what you think that counts the most. The 380 had just come out when I ordered my 400 (Hull #1 was at AC Sail Expo) 3 1/2 years ago. I had already test sailed 2 400's (light and heavy air) and knew what I was getting. The 380 was an unknown factor to me then. In my humble opinion, the 400 offers some more performance, space and comfort at a significant price difference. The steering has never been a problem, but periodic (once a year or so) adjusting is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.