C36 Stereo Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark

I'm the proud owner of a new C36 mkII and lovin it! I'm installing a stereo system and have two questions. First in the cabin, is there a preferred path for routing wires from port-forward to the stereo cabinate? My speakers are flush-mounted in the cabinates port and starboard just aft of the head bulkhead (port-side) and just aft of the entertainment cabinate (starboard). Is there enough room behind the light-colored trim wood that lines the hull to snake a wire between the wood liner and the fiberglass hull? Second, I was thinking of flush-mounting cockpit speakers in the aft lazerette hatches both port and starboard. This would be forward facing just above the hinges. Since people walk on these hatches frequently, I was wondering if this is a good location. Any thoughts on cockpit speakers? I'd appreciate any feedback you may have. Thx M

D

Don Beasley

I NEED IDENTICAL HELP

I too purchased a new Catalina 36MKII in November 2001. Yes it was snowing. For the last two months I have been assembling all the gear and looking for a way to run cable for the Sony AM/FM +10CD changer. I purchased enclosed speakers for the interior because of a personal aversion to cutting little holes in the boat. Fortunately for me the factory ran wires to the cockpit rear elevated seats. I'm not sure how I will mount the identical pair of speakers that I purchased for the interior so I am moving slowly. I can tell you one thing. Do not bother removing the wood floor under the starboard small table. It sits flush to flat fiberglass panel with nothing more than 6 screw holes. I was thinking of drilling forward through the access hole next to the small table and from there down through the bilge area and accross to the port cabinet, mounting the speaker on the shelf. Any ideas you pass on will be greatly appreciated. My boat Catalina 36 MK II "THANX" is hull #2056 Moored in Bellingham, WA Thanx Don Beasley beasleydon@aol.com

T

Tony

Stereo Stuff

For cockpit speakers checkout navpod. I believe there web is navpod.com. My 310 came wired for interior speakers but I cant find the ends. The electric station has speaker wires marked for port and starbord but where do they go? Cant find the other end.

R

rp

Aft lazerette hatches

I have a 2000 C34, so our cockpits are very similar. I mounted flush speakers in these hatches and it sounds great. I placed them above the hinges and as high up on the vertical face as possible so there would be less of a possibility of kicking them. I bought poly planar low magnetic speakers. rp.

T

Tim Leighton

COCKPIT SPEAKERS

Mark: First of all, congrads on your new boat! One of those two best days of our lives.... Just purchased a new C-400 myself. As for cockpit speakers, I'm not sure how your cockpit aft lockers are set up, but you may want to rethink using them to house your speakers. The locker hatches on the 400 are "L" shaped meaning the hatch forms both the seat and front of the locker. I decided against putting my speakers there because of potential vibration of the hatches distorting the music. I wasn't smart enough to figure this out myself, but got some sage advice from my local stereo shop. I went w/ BOSE 151 speakers mounted under the perch seats. They are out of the way and sound great. You may want to consider a similar position. BOSE's are a bit pricy, but well worth the $$ if you want great sound. If I had a digital camera I'd send you some pics....next month! Good luck! Tim Leighton (S/V "Magic"), S. Chesapeake Bay

T

Trevor

Sternrail seats on Mk I

Has anyone mounted speakers like the Bose 151's Tim mentioned on the aftermarket sternrail seats on an older C36? I like the idea but am unsure how to run the wires (I have an 86 model). Thanks for any input, Trevor S/V Dunoon, C36 #640

B

Bob

bose 151's

Before you buy the Bose, check out the Boston Accoustics Voyager Series. I have the Voyager 2's, inside and out. They are designed for the marine environment and will mount nicely under the stern rail seats. Either speaker will sound good on/in your boat. I would suggest listening to both and go with what sounds best to you.

M

Mike

Mast mount

I have the C-38, I mounted Bose 151's on each side of the mast abt 8" up facing aft and they are out of the way.. also I didn't have to cut any holes. the other nice thing abt this installation to me is they aren't blaring in one ear or the other, everyone gets the same level db's and they are attached with 3m heavy marine velcro u could make brackets.. I've had them there for 4 years not a prob.. In one of my solo races I had 35kts+ and 12's breaking over the bow every now and then so I put a bungy around them that trip ;-) but they never moved so I really did it for nothing.. better safe than buying a replacement Mike C-38

B

Bill

Hey Don, hull 2056 or 2065?

Hi Don, Happened to catch your reply to the topic. If you have hull 2065 then you bought the 36MKII that I ordered in May of last year. Thanks for buyin it and all the stuff I added. I wasn't able to close on the boat because two builder clients who screwed me out of about 70 grand. The dealer kept it there and after 4 months I just told him to sell it and he was able to get me most of my money back. I'm now talking with him about ordering a 320. Enjoy the boat and I'd love to go out on her sometime....I was going to name her "My Reward".

C

Chris Hyland

Stereo Stuff

Mark, I have heard the Bose 151's and think the Cambridge Soundworks speakers are better for the money. I have the Polyplanar platinum series in the rear lazerette hatch covers. There is no vibration and they sound is excellent. I also installed a TV/VCR and a protable DVD player. The DVD player uses a FM Modulator so I can get the stereo track of the movie over the speakers. If you have not purchased a auto type stereo for the boat yet I would reccomend spending the extra to get one the supports audio inputs from a DVD player. It will make your life easier down the road if you plan to do this. Of course it's easier to just buy a TV/DVD combo unit but you don't get the quality stereo sound. Good luck, Chris

M

Mike

Option # 2

I use the laptop (15"lcd)for DVD and just plug it into the aux input of the stereo.. or use a set of good speakers made for puters with sub-woofer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.