C30mkiii compression block issues?

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I am wondering about a really wacky idea for repair of the compression block in the bilge.

As a structural engineer I specify a 5000 psi non-metallic concrete grout to support steel and concrete columns in buildings. The stuff is mixed to a consistency just a bit thicker than water and poured into place. After a couple of days it has over 5000 psi compressions strength.

So I am wondering, couldn’t you just remove the rotted wood, create a template to damn off the area for the compression post and pour in the grout?

Okay everyone, flame on! :dance:

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I don't see why not. I have heard of some of the old Endeavor boats having their mast steps replaced by concrete blocks.

Where would the lay person buy this grout?

Apr 5, 2009
Where would the lay person buy this grout?
It is available at most masonry and concrete supply stores. There are several manufactures so what you need to look for is a non-metallic grout that meets the ASTM 1107C specification. It comes in 50 lb. bags for about $20. Like I said in my original post, the key is to mix it to a fluid consistency so that you can pour it into place.

Attachments

Mar 11, 2010
Catalina Tall Rig/ Fin Keel Deale, MD
I like the concept. Is that like a "Rockite" type product? Would one need to add fibers to the mix? Would it absorb water after curing? What about freeze-thaw? Perhaps a person would remove the aft-facing compression post board and, after drilling a hole, pour it in from the top, so it filled the space all the way up? These are Bud Light inspired questions by the way. Not the real heavy stuff. :D

Rob

Apr 5, 2009
I have Googled Rockite and it appears to be hydraulic cement. This product is expanding cement and would create outward pressure on the hull. What you are looking for is a Non-shrink grout. All cement products can and do absorb moisture so you will need to have separation between any wood and the grout. In this installation the grout will be cast against the fiberglass hull and underside of the deck. I might still add a couple of layers of glass to the bilge side to minimize the moisture absorption.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
I am wondering about a really wacky idea for repair of the compression block in the bilge.

As a structural engineer I specify a 5000 psi non-metallic concrete grout to support steel and concrete columns in buildings. The stuff is mixed to a consistency just a bit thicker than water and poured into place. After a couple of days it has over 5000 psi compressions strength.

So I am wondering, couldn’t you just remove the rotted wood, create a template to damn off the area for the compression post and pour in the grout?

Okay everyone, flame on! :dance:
Sound overly permanent. What if it needs to come out for some reason?

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
WHY ???????
And if and when it needs another 1/8" one way or another ????
I would think if this was such a good idea Butler/Catalina would have done this years back....

Apr 1, 2012
Pearson 424 Charleston, SC
The compression block that Catalina put in was not adjustable, no moving 1/8" in any direction. Also it was surrounded with a material that looked like it was poured in like concrete. Not sure what the stuff was but it took a cro-bar and hammer to break up and remove. I installed a screw jack similar to the design dj2210 put on this thread with some modifications. Very easy to install once the original compression block was removed, and I completed the work without taking the mast down.

nexus

Nov 10, 2005
Catalina Catalina 30 MKIII Anacortes, WA
As anyone out there with a mark 3 had issues with the compression block? I have heard about it with older models but not so much with the mkiii. I noticed my head door not latching and later cracks in the cabin sole. Pulled the mast and everything went back. I have ordered a new wooden block from Catalina and about to start digging. Anyone else done this? Any advice?
We HAD a 2003 C30 MKiii that we bought from original owner in 2005. :cry: Got a leak around stbd port just aft of bulkhead. Thinking it needed re-bedding, I removed the port and found it wet. Left to dry "a couple days" and it was still wet after a week. Long story short, found cracks in cabin sole and it turns out a leak had developed where in-mast wiring penetrated deck, and had completely rotted the compression block and saturated much of the balsa. Had to cut away about half of cabin sole to replace. The guy who did the work said the original construction was incredibly shabby. Talked with Frank Butler (then president of Catalina Yachts) personally and he took ZERO responsibility even though the boat was within the 5-year hull warranty period (because I wasn't original owner). Frank ended up cussing me out and telling me he "felt sorry for my wife" before hanging up on me. After the repair work was completed (for +$5K) the compression block/leak were no longer problems. We sold the boat a couple years later and WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER CATALINA. Boats tend to have issues sometimes, and that's understandable - especially when they live continuously in the saltwater in the Pacific Northwest. I understand and accept that. What I find unacceptable is the response I got when I contacted Frank Butler, and that is enough for me to say "enough" to Catalina Yachts. Good luck. Hope your repairs go well, but don't count on Catalina for help or to stand behind their product.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Catalina Yachts & Service

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. It's highly unusual, and Frank & Gerry & Sharon have an enviable GOOD if not great reputation in the industry, borne out by more than just Catalina owners, heralded by "the mainstream [boating] industry". And, partially for that reason, they're still in business. Just thought others, who may not be aware of CY's reputation, should know. I'm on my third Catalina (22, 25 & 34) and am very happy with all of them, only sold to move up.

okengr

Feb 19, 2012
Lancer 40 & Catalina 30/309 Galveston, TX / Kingston, OK
I replaced the compression block in my '86 C30 MKII with 3/4" sheets of phenolic laminated together in place with West Systems Six10 epoxy adhesive. I didn't remove the entire block, just took it a couple of inches past the compression post. The remainder of the wood block was still solid at that point. My bilge always has a little water in it and the new block is doing fine three years later.

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
The compression block is wood. There is a 6x8 post going from the cabin top to the top of the compression block on my boat. I would assume there is a metal compression post inside.

BTW, I noticed the mast step sinking on my buddies 2000 C30 last weekend. Guess what job I'll probably be helping with this winter. :doh:
On our 1985 Catalina 30 the post is 4 pieces of 1+ thick teak glued/screwed together into a hollow box post. Nothing inside except the wires for the mast lights.

Apr 5, 2009
That is the compression post. This thread is about the compression block which is in the bilge.

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Wow, weird to hear it happened on later boats.

The C36 skippers have had the issue, too.

A Google on "Catalina mast step" will most likely get you a LOT of reading.

For me? So far, so good.
My '91 MKII had this problem. I'm hoping that my '97 MKIII does not.....I hope.

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
That is the compression post. This thread is about the compression block which is in the bilge.
True, but if you read the post immediately prior the poster states he believes there is a metal tube inside the post. I'm just stating there is not.