C30 Tall Rig missing bowsprit

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
I see here locally advertised an '80 Catalina 30 Tall Rig for sale. There is no bowsprit in the photos. Was the bowsprit optional along with the 2 foot taller mast? I haven't run a tape measure to the masthead yet to verify the TR claim.

Every other TR I've seen has the bowsprit. Can a bowsprit be added without reworking the stem considerably?

As I understand it, moving the headsail tack forward moves the center of effort forward to reduce weather helm. Has anyone sailed both and can describe the difference in sailing characteristics?

Thanks for sharing some feedback,
KBG

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
Catalina in Florida may have a replacement for you.
Call 727.544.6681 & ask for Lenny.
Their prices are not bad.
Give him year/model & see if he can help.
He's also a friend of mine.
ps: Do not use wood!

I got one for my C30 years back.
For the bobstay if using one, I suggest Nitronic 50.
This is a solid cable with around 30,000 lb. breaking strength.
For the attachment to the bow, I suggest a mechanical 316 SS fitting.

Good luck

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
There were some C30's with tall masts but no bowsprit. Measure the mast. The standard mast had a 40' extrusion tube. The tall mast has a 42' extrusion. Don't include the masthead fittings in these measurements, just the extrusion.

There's nothing bad about a standard mast C30. Same goes for a C30 TR. I've sailed a few C27's and C30's both tall rig and standard. I owned a tall rig C27 for a long time. I sailed it in light and heavy winds, from calm to 35+ knots on San Francisco Bay. The tall rig probably has a very slight advantage in very light wind. However, the tall rig is perfectly capable in heavy winds as well. The standard rig can generate plenty of power with the right choice of sails.

My experience with my 1977 Catalina 27 was that the rudder was the most important part of getting the helm balanced. I replaced the 1977 OEM rudder with a modern foil and it was like night and day. I suspect the same is true for the old C30's from circa pre-1990.

Both the standard and tall mast version are a pleasure to sail with proper tune and good sails. You just trim and tune them differently. I personally would be happy with either tall or short rig, with or without the bowsprit. Both can be tuned and trimmed to have a nice helm.

Personally, I'd be most concerned about overall condition and maintenance history and purchase price. Catalina 30's are 10 to 40 years old. Everything from blocks to aluminum to balsa core is subject to wear and tear and corrosion and water damage. And an updated rudder.

Judy B

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
Catalina in Florida may have a replacement for you.
Call 727.544.6681 & ask for Lenny.
Their prices are not bad.
Give him year/model & see if he can help.
He's also a friend of mine.
ps: Do not use wood!

I got one for my C30 years back.
For the bobstay if using one, I suggest Nitronic 50.
This is a solid cable with around 30,000 lb. breaking strength.
For the attachment to the bow, I suggest a mechanical 316 SS fitting.

Good luck
Thanks Shadow. I'm taking a look at the boat this weekend. I may need this contact if I like what I see!

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
Both the standard and tall mast version are a pleasure to sail with proper tune and good sails. You just trim and tune them differently. I personally would be happy with either tall or short rig, with or without the bowsprit. Both can be tuned and trimmed to have a nice helm.

Personally, I'd be most concerned about overall condition and maintenance history and purchase price. Catalina 30's are 10 to 40 years old. Everything from blocks to aluminum to balsa core is subject to wear and tear and corrosion and water damage. And an updated rudder.
I appreciate the insight @DrJudyB . It's good to know a few upgrades can change helm balance dramatically. I'll be sure to add this to the list of considerations for inspection.