C30 Refit with C309 Furling Mast

okengr

Feb 19, 2012
Lancer 40 & Catalina 30/309 Galveston, TX / Kingston, OK
I had an old thread asking for some C309 measurements while I was in the throws of of refitting a C30 TR with a C309 Selden furling mast. I was not able to respond to some questions that came up on the thread at the time, such as "Where did you find the mast/boom", and "Post pics of the sheeting system you used." So now after the thread has closed I finally found opportunity to answer them.

I found the mast/boom on Craig's list. It was available through an insurance claim wereby the mast had been scratched and the owner required his new boat have a new mast. In the end it was a boon for me.

To the other question, here's a pic of the main sheeting system I ended up with after contemplating whether I should replicate the C309 sheeting on my C30.

Attachments

Oct 29, 2013
Catalina 309 Port Moresby
Now its complete and in use, are you pleased you fitted the main furling system. I have a 309 and think its terrific. Always fun after racing to come in towards the marina and watch everyone struggling with sails all over the place, while I simply wind my sails away and buzz in. I am usually on a second beer while everyone else is still folding and stuffing….

okengr

Feb 19, 2012
Yes, we are really happy with it. We found it a little difficult to furl at first, but after buying a Milwaukee 28V right angle drill and a winch bit now its a zip.

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
From the looks of your pic it looks like your rodkicker is bottomed out . If you release it a little when furling it may be easier to pull in. Scott at Selden US says 1-2 inches of the smaller tube should should be showing when the mast and boom are at 90 degrees. I just had to have my gas strut replaced about 2 wks ago and that was one of the things he needed to know about the setup. The rig looks good on your boat.

okengr

Feb 19, 2012
Thanks for the pointer. I'll adjust it out some and put it in that configuration.

Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
When furling the main,
We find it's best to have the boat into the wind but with the boom over to port side .
Can pull in without a winch handle in a few seconds, keep a bit of tension on the outhaul .
Don't let the black control lines become slack when pulling the sail out either , that can cause the lines to dislodge from winch .
If you want to reef in the sail always do it on a starboard tack .