C30 MKiii length over all - how did the addition of the sugar scoop swim platform affect length?

Sep 16, 2020
Catalina 30 MKII San Francisco
Shopping hard for a C30 MKii or MKiii. I am length limited in my San Francisco slip, and know that a MKii will fit with a small minor modification to the bow pulpit after an in person measurement. Inches do matter to my harbor master, and I don't have much to give over a MKii.

I don't have any access to a MKiii to measure and honestly really like the idea of the sugar scoop and princess stern rail seats. The brochures I seem to find online state the over all hull length did not change with MKiii with the addition of the sugar scoop swim platform.

Is it possible that the overall length of the hull as measured with a vertical plum line from the furthest point at the back of the stern to the front of the bow is really still 29'11" as on previous models or is that a typo in the Catalina brochure? That would be measured without the swim latter lowered and bow pulpit over hang, hull only.

If it truly still is 29'11", where did the space for sugar scoop come from? Was the cockpit shortened slightly?

Lastly, it appears the stern pulpit princess seats protrude or hang over and beyond the the end of the hull of the stern in pictures I see on the internet? Anyone have an idea of how much further back they hang over the stern? Less critical as stainless steel can be modified at a cost.

May seem like odd questions to some folks in other parts of the country, but I really enjoy the slip I have had for many years and getting a similar slip that is longer with the ideal location I possess may be a decade or more wait.

I appreciate any facts/answers/insight folks could share on my questions or even suggestions for finding the answers. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

CJ

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Have you compared the brochure's page 4 which has the boats in profile on the www.catalinayachts.com archived brochures? This is a hard question for others to answer because in my 20 years of being on boating forums I don't recall anyone ever getting into such minute detail, and you do have a good reason for it. Have you considered calling CY?

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Why not just email or call Warren @ Catalina and ask? The horse’s mouth as it were.
When you join the Catalina family be sure to join the Association!
PS you can add the seats - I did on my mk-I. Or I should say my stainless steel welder buddy did - I mainly held things, stayed out of his way, and supplied the libation and nourishment.

Feb 26, 2004
You can add them to any boats without doing any pushpit stainless steel work, too. I chose to do only one side.
stern seat aquavite.jpg

Sep 16, 2020
Thanks for the insight thus far. I’ve looked and analyzed and re analyzed drawings and pictures.... Lol. Analysis paralysis. I should go to straight to the horses mouth and call Catalina. Thought they might not be interested in helping be it a used out of production boat.

We have had a few Catalinas in the family over the decades, a mk1 C30 many years ago (Ok a few decades) and even a C320 (oh if that only fit in my slip.). C320 was sold back in 03 or so.

A number of boats since then... and now want to get back into a simple yet quality boat that’s stiff as it really blows here, with some decent overnight space.

Tough to beat the 30 on a reasonable budget.
Considered a a larger budget for a 309 or 310, but decided that 30 on a smaller budget will do more than suffice, its a darn nice boat for the money.

Will see what I come up with be it a mkii or mkiii. Dreamy stuff like the princess pulpit and sugar scoop are nice haves, but rigging and mechanical condition always trump that and need see what the budgets leaves.

Last edited:
May 7, 2011
Just to clarify I’m talking about seats for the mk-I that don’t infringe on the cockpit space or restrict the lazarette cover.
Cost, 3 ft of stainless tubing (plus beer and pizza.)

612EDE47-AEE1-41B1-A8CB-6B1630F64738.png

Feb 26, 2004
Just to clarify I’m talking about seats for the mk-I that don’t infringe on the cockpit space or restrict the lazarette cover.
Pethaps, but... My lazarette opens without moving the seat (which is fixed) and doesn't intrude on any cockpit space. I get in & out from the wheel easily, either side. OK, OK, I have a 34, but the ergonomics are quite similar based on your photo.

May 7, 2011
CJ

I’ve and others found that Catalina is typically pretty helpful - they want to keep owners happy so they move up/new over time!

I PM’d you contact emails.

Cheers

Sep 16, 2020
CJ

I’ve and others found that Catalina is typically pretty helpful - they want to keep owners happy so they move up/new over time!

I PM’d you contact emails.

Cheers
Awesome, thank you so much! Looking forward to rejoining the Catalina community.