C30 Hard steering to port under power

Mar 29, 2021
Catalina 30 Wilson, NY
Greetings all. On my recently acquired 1990 C30 mkii I’m experiencing a hard pull to port when motoring. And I mean it’s fatiguing. Rudder alignment is dead on. There is no play in the rudder bearing. The wheel spins freely when not motoring. Cables are fine. Has anyone experienced this and resolved it? I attached a pic of my prop. Thank you in advance

TC

Attachments

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Is the prop shaft off centerline of the boat? Mine is offset to starboard. Designed that way so the rudder doesn't have to be dropped if the prop shaft needs to be replaced.

Mar 29, 2021
Catalina 30 Wilson, NY
As far as I know the prop shaft alignment is stock. This is confusing to me. 30 years of sailing and I’m stumped.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Prop Walk? Alignment with your rudder? Or perhaps the boat is telling you - shut down the motor and sail me.

I have a moderate force on the rudder when under power. It evaporates when I shut down the engine and sail with the sails trimmed.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
As far as I know the prop shaft alignment is stock. This is confusing to me. 30 years of sailing and I’m stumped.
This has nothing to do with shaft alignment; has to do with the location of the shaft in relation to the centerline of the boat. With my prop and shaft offset to starboard, the boat will turn to starboard under power if nothing is holding the helm. I like what John said - shut down the motor and sail!

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
I don't know if all MKii's have a 3 blade prop but my Mki only has a two blade and although it will wander under power it isn't all that bad. Also have you tried tightening the friction lock on the helm? I usually leave mine on pretty snug especially when motoring and it stays pretty straight.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Welcome to the forum!
My 93 C30 with M25-XP 23Hp has a 3 blade prop. It's stamped " 5/92 MI/Fed Sailer 13/10RH"
I don't use the pedestal brake.
It takes very little effort to keep the boat going straight and I can take my hands off the helm for short periods of time.

I like @jssailem s idea of prop walk. Maybe someone replaced the prop with one not designed for your C30/motor combo. I understand some prop designs have more or less prop walk.

Your prop hub should be stamped with the size, pitch and manufacturer. Then try calling Catalina to see if they think it was stock.
Even if it is the OEM prop, you can try pulling the prop, taking it to a prop shop and having it refurbished. I did that to mine a few years back because the surveyor pointed out it one blade slightly bent. Cost was something like $150, including pulling the prop.