C28 portlight gaskets

Feb 22, 2014
Columbia 28 Seattle
Greetings all. I just purchased my first boat, a '69 C28, last September and I am (finally) starting some projects... the list is loooooong and growing. One will be to remove and re-bed all of the portals. I want to replace the gray gasket material around the inside of all of the fixed portlights but haven't been able to locate a suitable replacement. It is gray rubber stuff that is about 5/8" wide by 3/8" thick with grooves down the sides. Any ideas of where I might find something? Either online or in the Seattle area would be a great help. Thanks!

Feb 13, 2014
columbia 45 motorsailer newport beach, ca.
Columbia Portlights

The non-opening ports on your Columbia are sandwiched in the cabin cutout with an outer & inner aluminum frame. The rubber gasket you refer to is cosmetic only; to hide the unattractive gap on the inside frame.I found a replacement for that at a plastic window shop in Corona, Calif.. Sorry, I don't recall their name. You need to first remove the screws from the inside frame. Then remove the frame. Ideally, you could then just push the window & outer frame out of the hole. However, given the age of your boat, it won't be easy. ( don't ask how I know this )
Good luck with this job.
Doug Ward

Feb 22, 2014
Columbia 28 Seattle
The non-opening ports on your Columbia are sandwiched in the cabin cutout with an outer & inner aluminum frame. The rubber gasket you refer to is cosmetic only; to hide the unattractive gap on the inside frame.I found a replacement for that at a plastic window shop in Corona, Calif.. Sorry, I don't recall their name. You need to first remove the screws from the inside frame. Then remove the frame. Ideally, you could then just push the window & outer frame out of the hole. However, given the age of your boat, it won't be easy. ( don't ask how I know this )
Good luck with this job.
Doug Ward
Thanks Doug! Yeah, it didn't appear as though the rubber gasket material is there to seal the port from the outside. It seems as if it might insulate the aluminum from "sweating?" Aluminum windows tend to collect condensation. But thanks for the tip. I'll try a window store next. I am not looking forward to rebedding all of the ports. :/

Aug 5, 2014
Columbia 28 MK II Anacortes, WA
New to the forum, here, and thought I'd bump this thread as I'm also curious about the c28 port gaskets.

Did you ever find a good solution? This is a job I'd also like to do on my own C28.

Cheers.

Feb 22, 2014
Columbia 28 Seattle
New to the forum, here, and thought I'd bump this thread as I'm also curious about the c28 port gaskets.

Did you ever find a good solution? This is a job I'd also like to do on my own C28.

Cheers.
Hi there. I actually didn't continue to look after I realized that the material I was trying to replace doesn't seal the portal... it's just an insulator. I have way more things higher up on the list to do list than this. But if you find anything, let me know!