C275 vs other “weekender/daysailers”

Grip

Dec 2, 2020
Catalina Catalina 30 Portland, Maine
Hello friends. I’m considering moving-on from a Catalina 30 (1980 tall rig, fin keel) into something with a more comfortable cockpit and easier to handle for a solo-sailor for coastal Maine daysails, marina-hopping and occasional overnights anchored out in the islands. Especially important to me is a cockpit layout that is comfortable for 4-6 non-sailing guests, and allows sail controls from the helm position so I dont need to climb over my gusts and kids to the main/jib sheets on the cabin top. I‘m willing to sacrifice some interior comfort and full standing headroom.

C275 looks great. Love the look of the cockpit/helm area (if there is a good way to move jib sheet back to helm). The interior is just about the minimum of what I’d want, but I like the simplicity. I’m guessing its a lot easier to control around the dock solo than my heavy, round C30 (impossible to reverse with any control/accuracy). I’m still curious if I’d be better served by the more modern Catalina cruisers like a 270 or 310/315 (cockpit layouts look great), even if I dont NEED the extra interior. Thoughts? How does she compare (for my needs) to other weekenders like an Alerion Express 28 or Schock Harbor 25?

Jun 6, 2016
Catalina 275 Wilmette, IL
C275 is pretty easy to maneuver around the docks and the saildrive introduces very little if any noticeable prop walk so it backs up rather straight until you can start steering with the rudder. Can't comment on most of the boats listed, but for daysailing, I much prefer the C275 over the C270. But the C275 has less freeboard, so if you are getting slapped on the beam by waves, then that would be a plus for the C270.

Mar 11, 2014
Do you have a dodger on the C30? Pretty much impossible aside from a small one for the C275... all depends on your priorities. I've had a 27, a 30 and a c22 and a Capri 22... The c27 and c30 were RVs compared to the c275... I'm very happy with the 275 as a day sailer...

Grip

Dec 2, 2020
Thanks. Makes sense. I think I could go without a dodger, but I really like the bimini. I’ve seen one of the captains here has fitted one to the 275 which looked OK.

Even though it has a self-tack’er, I’d still like to know if there’s a way to route the jib sheet to the helm position. We sail around a lot of islands, especially on day sails, and make frequent adjustments to both main and jib... more than just tacking back upwind at the same angle.

I’m finding the same/opposite challenge with the smaller cruising boats. For example... the C310 has winches at the helm and comfortable coaming to sit/lean on, but the main & traveler are still on the cabin top. I suppose I could live with the traveler being up there if I had access to the main sheet at the helm.

Hate to say it, but Hunter seems to have my ideal control layout with the main & traveler on the arch, and convenient jib winches (varying depending on which model).

Grip

Dec 2, 2020
C275 is pretty easy to maneuver around the docks and the saildrive introduces very little if any noticeable prop walk so it backs up rather straight until you can start steering with the rudder. Can't comment on most of the boats listed, but for daysailing, I much prefer the C275 over the C270. But the C275 has less freeboard, so if you are getting slapped on the beam by waves, then that would be a plus for the C270.
Thanks! I understand they are drastically different boats... but can you talk more about your thoughts on 275 vs 270 sailing & handling? Let’s say your heading from Portland to Boothbay and taking part of the route outside of the bay/islands into open ocean. Is the 270 going to be much more stable/comfortable, or just slightly less spray?

270 isnt that much heavier than the 275 overall (compared to the 30 footers especially), and I could still pull my dinghy for beach hopping vs some sort of paddle board for a ”dingy” with the 275.

Jun 6, 2016
Catalina 275 Wilmette, IL
You probably shouldn't put too much weight into my opinion on the C270 as I never owned one. I came very close, but the deal fell through because of a lot of blistering, which I was not informed about prior to my 4 hour drive to look at it. Soon after, I learned about the C275 and the layout just suits my purpose better. I really like the size and openness of the C275 cockpit. I have been on a C270 at least once and have never thought: I wish I had bought that boat instead. They're both Catalinas, so speedwise, they're both pigs. Though, probably not as bad as a Hunter of the same size.

As for your route, I've never been sailing in the NE so no comment there. But I'm not sure why you can't pull a dingy with the C275 when you would be able to pull with the C270. And I wouldn't put much faith into the advertisement of storing a standup in the aft berth. I haven't tried, but I just don't see it happening. The mainsail stores there during the winter, but it is not as wide as a standup nor are the battens as rigid.

If you can, see if you can jump on both boats so you came make a better decision.