C27 port bench lazarette liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2010
catalina 27 Chicago
I just found a website that sells lazarette liners of various sizes.

Does anyone here know the dimensions for the opening of the port side lazarette on a 70s era C27?
Somebody having that info readily available is a long shot I know, but I can't get down to the yard to measure my own for a while, so I thought I'd give it a shot.
Thanks in advance,
Joel H.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
That's something you may be able to purchase directly from the Catalina factory parts department. It might be worth the time to call them and see what they have in stock. Prices will probably be pretty low also. The number is at the bottom of their website's homepage, www.catalinayachts.com

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey

Does anyone here know the dimensions for the opening of the port side lazarette on a 70s era C27?
Somebody having that info readily available is a long shot I know, but I can't get down to the yard to measure my own for a while, so I thought I'd give it a shot.
Thanks in advance,
Joel H.
Once you put the liner in how would you get to the batteries?

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater

Thanks in advance,
Joel H.
Do you mean the opening only???? I am not understanding what a lazarette liner is, unless it is like the bag that often holds cold beers in the inspection ports of beach catamaran hulls....

I will be out in the shop with my 75 C27 in the morning, if you can clarify, I can maybe get dimensions from mine...

Dec 11, 2010
catalina 27 Chicago
To answer Caguy; My batteries are located elsewhere. And my gally is gone.
To clarify for Phil; The liner I'm looking at is a hard,(fiberglass or plastic), "tub". I'm hoping I could find one that will slide into, and rest on, the opening for removable under the seat cooler/storage. Like the built-in one on the port side, only deeper. I hope.
Joel H.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
I will probably be down at the Marina today. Mine is an '82, will that work? Mine may or maynot fit because the throttle controls are there. I do use the deep well for a 5 gal paint bucket where I store my hose. I also store the solar cells in there when not in use. It would the nice to have a removable shallow drop-in tray in there, if you find one let us know.

Dec 11, 2010
catalina 27 Chicago
I'm not sure of the possible changes made in later models. I think I remember now that my opening is not square, so I'm not sure how that is going to work.I'm going to figure something out over the winter so I'll keep updating.
Thx. for the replies,
Joel H.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
That looks pretty slick.

If you get one please do share with the rest of us how it works out. I could use one or two of those to keep vests and line etc. I would give you the measurements but sadly I will not be going to the boat till Thursday.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I apologize. I was out at the boat tonight, but the port laz opening is not a simple rectangle. I studied it at length. It is going to take a tape measure and a protractor to clearly identify and describe the shape. It is almost a parallelogram, but not exactly. 3 or 4 unique measurements for the cut hole, depending on how tight you want your tolerance.

Stay tuned.

Dec 11, 2010
catalina 27 Chicago
I made a special trip down to the yard today to check it, and a few other things, out. Yes, unfortunately the opening is irregular. But, I think I can make some kind of slide system to mount the liner under the opening, (I access my "secondary raw water cooling valve" through that opening so I have to be able to slide the liner foreword to access that). Anyway, I plan on getting the liner and coming up with something, so I'll keep on posting updates.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
How deep would this "tray" be or will it be deeper than a tray? My reason for asking is that for a fairly shallow accessory, a thermoformed part would be possible. While I don't have access to a production machine I might have access to a prototype machine.

I wonder if I could get a few pulled???? No promises there but it is a possibility...

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I think you could achieve the same result with a plastic, resin or hard rubber storage container mounted on pair of under the counter drawer slides. Or... install set of slippery guide rails and set the container directly on top....

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
I'm glad you brought it up. I actually like th larger storage area. The only problems I have had with it was the exposed batteries and the fact that it is difficult to pick a small item up from the bottem becase my arms are too short. A bottom liner that covered the bottom and the batteries would solve that. I could also hang my extra rope and anchor in there freeing up the starboard laz.

Dec 11, 2010
catalina 27 Chicago
I replaced my companionway hatch sliders last year and kept the old ones. I think I can cut one of those in half and mount them to the underside of the Laz. opening. Even with my galley gone I don't think there will be enough room foreword for the liner to slide completely in or out of the rails, but we'll see. I may have to make one rail easily removable in order to be able to completely remove the liner for engine maintenance access. By the way that link shows a 9" deep liner they have a 12" deep on also. That's what I'm going to try.

Dec 11, 2010
catalina 27 Chicago
P.S. West Marine sells them cheaper than the Mfg. and with free shipping over $50.

Status
Not open for further replies.