C27 Ditch the tiller

Apr 5, 2020
Catalina 27 Northbridge, MA
I have a 1975 C27. We love many features of this boat, but would like to ditch the tiller and install a pulpit with wheel, and update boom rigging with a upper deck mounted traveler. Has anyone done this?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Meerchaum not long ago we had a discussion on the benefits and issues of changing a boat from tiller to wheel.
As you will discover, you can do lots of things to your boat.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Catalina 270 has a T shaped cockpit and a 36" wheel, because you don't have a T shaped cockpit you could only fit an 18" wheel. I was on a Catalina 30 that had been converted to a wheel and it took both hands and all your strength to turn the wheel. Really made the boat very hard to handle at low speed.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Fitting wheels can be a challenge. I was on a CAL 31. She was built with the option of a tiller or a wheel. The boat hull sweeps narrow as it closes on the stern. The wheel installed changed the movement about the cockpit. You needed to climb up on the seat to combing to get behind the helm. Seating in the cockpit was more limited due to the wheel and binnacle.

The owner was in love with the wheel. He said it made him feel he had upgraded the boat. In reality that is all that really matters.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Why I prefer a tiller on our h27:
- better feel of the rudder
- faster movement of the rudder
- tiller naturally shows the rudder position
- easy to sit on the side bench of the cockpit and see the sails and water ahead
- pulling the tiller up completely clears the cockpit at anchor/mooring/dock

Advantages of a wheel:
- throttle and shifter close at hand
- more leverage on the rudder (assumes a large wheel) and less important on a 27
- quick and easy cockpit table
- drink holder close at hand for the helm

Your choice, of course.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
It ain't worth it.... and it will still be an older C27. Besides, tillers are cool. Wheels are unnecessary for boats under 29 feet... they also take up a lot of cockpit room and access on smaller boats can be a problem without redesigning the area. Converting to mid boom sheeting is more reasonable, even though the cost of a bridge and the need for additional purchase hardware may surprise you.
If I were wanting to spend a bunch of money on my Cat 27 (oh, I did that already) I'd put it into new canvas... i.e. a dodger... hardware, such as ST winches, clutches, stanchions, portlights, etc. and electronics.