C27 1985 universal m18 control panel with pull start help.

Feb 9, 2011
Catalina 27 Forked River NJ
image.jpeg
I am looking for the starting instructions and a schematic for the Pull Start version of the Universal Diesel key start panel pictured here.
Since I do not have to hold down the glow plug heater switch to get power to the S terminal on the start solenoid, I am wondering how this switch is actually wired.
The manual that I have does not cover this type of panel.
I hope some other C27 owner will have a copy of the manual with the pull switch.
I am only looking for a wiring diagram, and the starting procedure.
Thanks
Bill

Apr 13, 2007
Catalina 27 TR Lorain, Ohio
'Pull Start'? The T handle is the decompression valve that stops the engine. My 86 Cat27 with the M-18 has a button for the glow plugs and a separate starter button. The start to work only when you turn on the key to connect everything to the panel. I assume your glow plugs come on with the ignition then the button by the key is your starter. I can actually turnoff the key and remove it and the engine will continue to run until I pull the decompression handle. No way is anyone ever going to pull start a 2 cylinder diesel. My manual seems to cover this panel, sort of, separate sheet I found does, sort of.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Joe's partially right. The black handle is the stop not the decompression. The stop is connected by a cable to the front portion of the engine (follow it down below) and when you pull, it cuts off fuel to the engine and stops it. The decompression lever is on a completely different end of the engine.

You might be able to find wiring diagrams using an internet search engine.

You should also become familiar with www.marinedieseldirect.com

Feb 9, 2011
I am aware that the black T handle stops the engine.
The push switch for the glow plug is to the right of the key switch
The knob below the hour meter is the start switch. It must be pulled out to apply power to the S terminal on the start solenoid
I have not been able to find a wiring diagram on line for this version of the panel.
I am hoping someone has this same panel and a manual that goes with it.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
pull the panel off and look at the back of it. Or crawl into the locker under the seat with a flashlight.

Feb 9, 2011
Trying to avoid digging into the wiring. We all know what happens when 30 year old wiring is disturbed

Dec 25, 2014
Catalina 27 Pasadena, Md
Sorry I can't help, my manual doesn't show that panel even though I have 5 different panels shown, I spent over an hour searching for something like it last night without any luck.
Mine is an 86 model, and has the Tach, fuel, temp and volt gauges, a key, which like another poster does not stop the engine but is recomended to be turned off after you stop the engine with the pull up fuel cutoff handle, the glow plug, and the start button, and a red lamp that works with the audible alarm. I also have a togle switch to power a blower for the engine compartment. The key must be turned to the on position to power the blower, but otherwise it seems independant of all the rest.
I do not have a separtate hour meter, it is built into the tach, but except for the "pull" to start instead of a push to start, it sounds like it might function very similarly.
I turn on the key, which activates the alarms for pressure (and maybe temp?) and then hold the glow plug in for a few seconds, then I press the start button (while holding the glow plug button, never thought to check whether the start will activate without the glow plug pushed, will have to check that out.) As soon as the engine is started, the audible and red light pressure alarm goes off and I'm good to go.
Hope you find something for it, as like me you seem to want all the manuals. The PO of mine was very good about passing on manuals (and maintanence logs) for everything having to do with the boat and its accessories.
Bob

Feb 9, 2011
My manual also shows the 5 different panels but not mine. I have never had to hold the glowplug heater while pulling the switch to start. I am guessing the po told me how to start the diesel since the proper procedure is not in the manual.
I can only assume that the start switch is wired in parallel not in series with the heater.
I will try Catalina tech support and see if they have any archived info.
Worst case I pull the panel out and figure it out.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
You might want to check out the Seaward web site, as they made most of the engine panels for Catalina. Your panel is unusually well equipped, as most did not come with but half of those gauges. Mine is pretty basic for a C-30, as it does not even have a tach or engine hour counter like yours. I see yours is stamped Catalina, but it may have been modified or replaced at some point, which would explain the extra gauges & the unusual pull out start button. Take a look at your wiring harness, & if you no longer have the original RV type plug together harness, then yours has been replaced at some point. Also if you have a volt meter instead of the original Amp meter, yours was replaced, as the amp meter causes huge voltage drop as it is wired directly from the alternator.

Feb 9, 2011
Catalina could not find any information in their archives, but stressed that records were lost during the move to Fla.
They also sugested That Seward may have been the mfr, may be a tag on the back of the panel.

Feb 26, 2004
I have not been able to find a wiring diagram on line for this version of the panel.
I am hoping someone has this same panel and a manual that goes with it.
Loose Ends,

While it's not the exact same panel, the wiring to the back of each of the functions (key, glow plug button and start (in your case you pull to start, on most others it's another push-button like your glow plug function)), the following link has the wiring diagram to the panel.

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=File:Harness4.png

As I look at it, it doesn't have the glow plug push button. But it's close.

It comes from this portion of our C34 website Tech wiki:

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Engine_Harness_Upgrade

and

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Diesel_Engine

Please feel free to noodle around, lots of engine wiring information.

I'll see if I can find one with a glow plug function and will let you know.

Feb 26, 2004
LE,

Here's another one, seems the same as the last, but easier to read:

Engine cockpit panel wiring diagram from CD.com, thanks to Noah http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/feature/73/z2644--z2855-instrument-panel-wiring-diagram.cfm

Essentially the only difference is that these two identical wiring diagrams use the key switch in the second position for the glow plugs. For making up YOUR wiring and wiring diagram, simply make the key switch only an on and off for power to the panel, and insert a glow plug push button, in your case a "pull out" switch. :)

Good luck.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
View attachment 116863 I am looking for the starting instructions and a schematic for the Pull Start version of the Universal Diesel key start panel pictured here.
Since I do not have to hold down the glow plug heater switch to get power to the S terminal on the start solenoid, I am wondering how this switch is actually wired.
The manual that I have does not cover this type of panel.
I hope some other C27 owner will have a copy of the manual with the pull switch.
I am only looking for a wiring diagram, and the starting procedure.
Thanks
Bill
It would be odd if Seaward ever built a panel with a momentary "pull" start switch. I have been on perhaps over 100 Catalina's, owned three, and have not seen a momentary pull switch as a start button.. If it is not a momentary switch IT SHOULD BE..possibly done by a PO...?

Both the glow switch and the start switch are simple two terminal single pole momentary switches. They are usually identical switches. Universal prefers that power to the start button passes through the glow switch but many owners bypass this.

I would likely replace both of those switches due to the age and lack of rubber boot for water ingress protection. The Cole Hersee M-626 is the momentary push switch I use for diesel starting switches because it is actually a great quality high amp switch.

We all know what happens when 30 year old wiring is disturbed
Yes it often PREVENTS BOAT FIRES when the fatal flaws are discovered....

You will also want to re-wire the trailer plugs and lose that ammeter wiring. Not disturbing 30 year old wire, in this case, can result in a boat fire or even death. There have been many boat fires caused by the horrible factory wiring on these boats.

Electrical fires on boats represent 55% of all boat fires with DC engine wiring being the largest percentage of that 55%..... "Disturbing 30 year old wire" is not only PRUDENT but a SHOULD DO.....

Universal Engine Wiring Upgrade (LINK)

If you've not done the alternator bracket upgrade...

Universal M-18 & M-25 Alternator Bracket Upgrade (LINK)

Feb 9, 2011
The pull start is spring return, it applies power as long as it is pulled out.. This is original equipment as verified by Catalina, they just could not locate the drawings for that year.
The glow plug heater is a press and hold to energize, the keyswitch is not spring return.
The universal drawing that I have in my manual inducates that the power to the start switch is in series with the glow plug heater. Obviously my start switch comes off the same bus, but it is a seperate wire.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
The pull start is spring return, it applies power as long as it is pulled out.. This is original equipment as verified by Catalina, they just could not locate the drawings for that year.
The glow plug heater is a press and hold to energize, the keyswitch is not spring return.
The universal drawing that I have in my manual inducates that the power to the start switch is in series with the glow plug heater. Obviously my start switch comes off the same bus, but it is a seperate wire.
The proper start procedure, if wired per Universal, would be:

Key = ON
Glow = Push For 15 +/- seconds
Start = While still pushing glow pull the start switch until it starts then release both switches

That pull switch can easily be replaced with the switch I mentioned above. If your engine will start without using the glow switch the PO or someone changed it from the glow button providing the current to start button only when depressed.

The key switches on these are simple ON/OFF.
The glow and start are simple single pole momentary switches.

Jul 9, 2015
Catalina 28 MK II Brentwood Bay, BC
It's the KEY.

Turn on, then turn some more. Only hold it for as little time as you need to based on how cold it is outside/inside.
OK so I would hold the key over to the far right as recommended in the starting instructions and then let the key go back to the start position and then push the start button?
Thanks