C25 new mainsail

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
With almost the options out there, what would you choose as far as brand? Why? I'm looking for a std rig, std replacement style sail. I don't race, or need full battens. Just looking to replace my 40 year old sail.
Any reason I should upgrade to full batten?

I was looking at national sails. They seem to have a very fair price

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Any sail maker will deliver a better sail than a 40 year old one. So you are a price shopper. So shop the best price but make sure your measurements are dead b--s on accurate.
Full battens will make your sails last longer.
I'm not one who thinks that good shaped sails are just for racing. To me sailing is a kinetic sport - meaning it's about the movement of the boat thru water. That is the pleasure of sailing. Not being able to sail upwind due to poor sail shape is frustrating to me. So I advocate buying the best sails you can afford to enjoy your sailing boat. Sailmaking is an art with a lot of science involved. But a sailmaker can design the shape of the sail to accommodate local conditions. They can also recommend a material choice that suits your use. And there are the accessories like reef points, re-enforcement points, chafe guards, sail numbers, class insignias, and other options. If you like sailing buy the best sails you can afford.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020
Any sail maker will deliver a better sail than a 40 year old one. So you are a price shopper. So shop the best price but make sure your measurements are dead b--s on accurate.
I'm not one who thinks that good shaped sails are just for racing. To me sailing is a kinetic sport - meaning it's about the movement of the boat thru water. That is the pleasure of sailing. Not being able to sail upwind due to poor sail shape is frustrating to me. So I advocate buying the best sails you can afford to enjoy your sailing boat. Sailmaking is an art with a lot of science involved. But a sailmaker can design the shape of the sail to accommodate local conditions. They can also recommend a material choice that suits your use. And there are the accessories like reef points, re-enforcement points, chafe guards, sail numbers, class insignias, and other options. If you like sailing buy the best sails you can afford.
That was very well stated. While price is always important, I don't mind paying a bit more for a better sail. National actually came in well below my anticipated budget.

I'm a daysailor on a dammed up river. I go out for a couple hours and come back, so nearly half my sailing is upwind one way or the other.

How would you option a sail? I'm happy with one reef, a leach line and Cunningham would be nice. I've never had full battens.....

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Might I suggest right here at SBO?

New sails will make you feel like you're sailing a new boat. Full battens have pros and cons. The sail shape can be better than with partial battens however, it is easy to over trim the sail because the shape is good even when the main is in the wrong position. Newer sails often have full upper battens and partial lowers, sort of the best of both worlds.

For the kind of sailing you do a cross cut Dacron main will do.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
One reef is fine for the sailing you describe. How deep should the reef be? That depends on the wind conditions you normally sail in. 12 Kts is cited as the windspeed most production boats are designed for. Somewhere around 18 Kts a reef would be considered. But it depends on your sail configuration too. I don't know the Catalina 25 so I'd leave it to the Catalina 25 sailers to be more specific.
I like to have sail numbers. As former RC I didn't like when a competitor didn't have them. But that's just me. It's also a social thing and a conversation starter since the number usually is the number of the build.
Definitely a Cunningham. It is a fast easy way to adjust halyard tension and to make up for stretch in the halyard.
With regard to full battens, given the relatively light use of the boat you could do well with conventional battens. The sail will be easier to hoist and probably easier to flake on the boom. You will become a better main sail trimmer without the full length battens.
Leach line? Yes!
Spreader patches? If you sail DDW very much I'd say yes.
And, of course leach ribbons. 3 sets.

Jan 11, 2014
I like to have sail numbers. As former RC I didn't like when a competitor didn't have them. But that's just me. It's also a social thing and a conversation starter since the number usually is the number of the build.
Mainsails without the builders logo and hull number look naked.

Apr 1, 2004
Catalina 34 Herring Bay Chesapeake, MD
Q

Apr 1, 2004
Catalina 34 Herring Bay Chesapeake, MD
National Sails is a quality company like hundred of others. There were / are close to 6,000 Catalina 25s built. Most sail lofts are familiar with them. Good luck

Sep 11, 2013
Catalina 25 6106 Lake Erie Metro Park
North sails did me right. They came out (during covid no less) and measured for a custom main sail when I installed a main sail furler system. Fit and finish was perfect. Delivery on time and they followed up to see that I was satisfied. Not cheap, but worth the money IMHO.

TOM G

Aug 10, 2020
One reef is fine for the sailing you describe. How deep should the reef be? That depends on the wind conditions you normally sail in. 12 Kts is cited as the windspeed most production boats are designed for. Somewhere around 18 Kts a reef would be considered. But it depends on your sail configuration too. I don't know the Catalina 25 so I'd leave it to the Catalina 25 sailers to be more specific.
Definitely a Cunningham. It is a fast easy way to adjust halyard tension and to make up for stretch in the halyard.
With regard to full battens, given the relatively light use of the boat you could do well with conventional battens. The sail will be easier to hoist and probably easier to flake on the boom. You will become a better main sail trimmer without the full length battens.
Leach line? Yes!
Spreader patches? If you sail DDW very much I'd say yes.
And, of course leach ribbons. 3 sets.
Thank you very much!

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
How does one know which sail is better than the other, especially when talking to a loft about a sail that has yet to be made?

Precision is another low priced loft with a good reputation

Jan 11, 2014
How does one know which sail is better than the other, especially when talking to a loft about a sail that has yet to be made?

Precision is another low priced loft with a good reputation
What is your definition of better? Better for what? Your bank account or speed on the race course?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
What are some things one should look for when shopping for a loft? What aspects make a high quality sail vs a low quality one? Obviously there are trade offs when it comes to speed vs durability vs price but I think quality is a good start

Aug 10, 2020
What are some things one should look for when shopping for a loft? What aspects make a high quality sail vs a low quality one? Obviously there are trade offs when it comes to speed vs durability vs price but I think quality is a good start
I think I'm going for the most bang for the buck since sailing does not take me far from home. Sail warehouse has an oem spec sail, cross cut, partial battens, Cunningham, one reef for less than $700 shipped. I figure my original made it 40 years, this has to be an improvement.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I don't think there are bad lofts. I don't expect a loft can stay in business delivering sub standard products. I think you pay more for individual attention, construction details, and the design of the sail. Yes sails can be designed.
I think the OP 's $ 700 deal will probably satisfy his needs for quite some time.

Aug 10, 2020
I don't think there are bad lofts. I don't expect a loft can stay in business delivering sub standard products. I think you pay more for individual attention, construction details, and the design of the sail. Yes sails can be designed.
I think the OP 's $ 700 deal will probably satisfy his needs for quite some time.
I appreciate your input very much on thus subject. Between your replies, and my research, I feel like I made a decent decision. Thank you very much.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I appreciate your input very much on thus subject. Between your replies, and my research, I feel like I made a decent decision. Thank you very much.
Let us know how it works out. Sail Warehouse sells or is Rolly Tasker. I've done some research and haven't heard anything bad about their sails