C25 cabin sole soft spots

JUUD

Aug 25, 2021
Catalina C25 Redbud Marina, Oologah Lake
Hello, everyone. This is my first post here and my reason for creating an account.
I have an opportunity to purchase a 1982 C25 for just over 1k USD.
She is currently sitting in a slip. Purchasing the old girl gives me fist dibs on the slip which around here, fall slips are hard to come by.
She needs a LOT of work. Mostly cosmetic, but a lot is not.
She's been sitting in the sun, uncovered for a few years. Hatch and port seals are dry and shrunken we well as the fuel line and control sheathing. Easy enough. I remodel houses for a living so this kind of work doesn't phase me in the slightest.
HOWEVER, what does have me a little gun-shy are the two (maybe three), 6 inch-ish soft spots I found in the cabin sole.
One is just port side of the companionway where the sole raises to meet the galley.
The other is just portside of center right before the V-berth.

I am 6' tall and weigh in at 215lbs.
Are my expectations too high for what the cabin sole can withstand or should I walk away?

She has an intact and working 1997 9.9 Suzuki outboard and a Bimini top in really great condition, so I could feasibly get my money back if the hull turned out to be bad, I would just hate to put the time, effort, and materials into her if she just needs to be retired.

*Edited because sometimes I'm an idiot.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

You made a good assessment of the initial work in front of you. Suggest getting repair scope and cost estimate by a fiberglass contractor (even if you plan to do the work yourself) and a marine survey to assess any other repairs that might be required to ensure it is seaworthy before you decide to purchase this boat. The work you identified would not deter me from buying as long as you are not uncomfortable making this repair AND the boat puts a smile on your face when you walk up to her.

Last edited:

JUUD

Aug 25, 2021
Thank you for the advice! I will check it out.

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
Thank you for the advice! I will check it out.
As a c25 owner that only weighs 160lbs, the sole in these boats flex when I walk on them. My boat is pretty solid, but the sole flexes under foot. I don't believe that all of it, if any of it is cored, just a few layers of glass.

JUUD

Aug 25, 2021
As a c25 owner that only weighs 160lbs, the sole in these boats flex when I walk on them. My boat is pretty solid, but the sole flexes under foot. I don't believe that all of it, if any of it is cored, just a few layers of glass.
Thanks for your input.
Actually makes me feel a bit better about pulling the trigger on this purchase.
I think I'll go ahead and buy her. The Suziki four-stroke outboard alone is probably close to the asking price anyway.