C22 anchor roller, am I crazy?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Gene,
First, thanks for your thread on this. I have a Fortress FX-16 that I got off CL cheap, less than half the cost and it was never used. Problem is same as you had, the CD anchor roller is way too short, the anchor tips hit my bow. So I've been shopping for a longer one and I've found several good options.

The only thing I can't find is an off-set roller. I checked the roller that came on my CD unit. I think maybe you got a different unit than I did... Mine feels like its solid all the way through, so it could be easily drilled out... but you don't need to. Even thought the bolt is 1/4", the hole through the roller is 3/8" and it uses an aluminum reducer (really bad idea). I'm going to call CD and see if I can order a spare, if I cannibalize the roller then the unit becomes useless.

As far as width, I have found several units that are 3 inches wide inside to inside, the CD unit is 2 & 7/8", so no problems with the roller fitting. I've also found units that have no holes drilled in them, which is key because I have to transfer the forestay bracket pattern with the slot for the tang and that doesn't line up with any bolt pattern out there.

Anyway, I let everyone know how it turns out.
By all means, keep us posted, give it it's own thread! There isn't much info out there on the subject as pertains to the C22, and I for one am keenly interested even though my own deal is done.

I have to say, I really like the bowsprit/roller setup on our new friend C22BC's boat, and I'm envious of the comparative ease with which one could be built, on an original-style C22. A bowsprit was not an option for me.

Here's a video of my roller, on its first time out ... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj1pYBOzdqc