C2 ROM Fri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Translated: All of our web sites for Hunter, Catalina, O'Day, and Beneteau owners will be read-only web sites Friday (and for some folks, bits of Sat/Sun) as we move our servers once again. While the move takes place Friday, all aspects of the sites will be online with the following exceptions: - you won't be able to post anything in the forums, photo album, boat reviews, etc. - the store will be closed This condition will last most of the day Friday, and for some users, into the weekend. By Sunday or Monday at the latest, all will be back to normal - but better. For those interested in such things, we now serve approx. 1.4 million pages per month, to the tune of about 40-50 gigs of data. And we've been serving it all on a pair of DSL lines. Which, frankly, has been better than you might think. However, the reliability of DSL, and the low priority our phone company places on DSL repair, makes its future and ours incompatible. Friday we are moving the servers into co-location with plenty of bandwidth, daily backup, redundant connections, good remote support, and 24-hour on-call technicians. It costs a lot more, but should provide better speed and *much* better reliability. Our goal is that our sites virtually never go down. Thanks for your patience -- again. We're sure it will be worth the inconvenience.

D

Don

OK, but only if you guarantee sun this weekend.

Otherwise, what are we gonna do all weekend without HOW? Good luck on the upgrade.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
As a recovering heroin addict....

I need my fix. It's really a good thing that I sail all weekend, otherwise I would have to result back to my old habits<grin>.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Here's a tip for advanced users :)

The servers wil all be up and running by mid-afternoon Pacific time. the delay is caused the change in the server's IP address and the time the change takes to 'propogate' through the DNS system. If you want to get back to fully functional sites: 1. Wait until 3pm Friday PDT 2. Go to your computer's TCP/IP settings 3. Write down the 'name server' IP address at the top of the list 3. Change your name server at the top of your list to 206.191.149.44 This will connect you to the new servers with no delay. BUT... don't forget to change your name server back to it's usual IP address on Sunday. Our's ain't the fastest around.

B

Bruce Grant

Damn, now I may actually have to work on Fri.

And forget about the sun, lets have wind! Oh the pain and suffering we must endure in the name of faster access and reliability :) Phil, keep up the good work and thanks for the continual improvements! Regards. Bruce Neon Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.