C&C 40-2 Rudder Bearing Replacement

Apr 15, 2021
C&C 40-2 AC St John
Wondering if anyone with a C&C 40-2 or 40-2 AC has ever replaced the rudder bearing on their boat?

Wondering if anyone has a schematic of how the rudder attaches to the boat? If so would it be possible to get a copy of it?

We bought our C&C 40-2 AC last year and did notice the rudder had some play in it, worked fine last year but would like to fix this before this winter's sailing season. Of course the boat is a 3 day drive from here so can't just pop down to check things out.

I am assuming that side to side play means we need a new bearing but am not 100% sure. Could it point to another solution?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
What year is your C&C - 1980s I am assuming? Back then very few production boats with spade rudders had actual 'bearings', unlike more modern boats that might have manufactured bearings by Harken, Jefa, etc. The lower 'bearing' was just the fit between the rudder shaft and the fiberglass tube in the hull. The upper 'bearing' was sometimes a piece of UHMW plastic or similar, on the rudder shaft above the stuffing box. With relatively low loads and water lubrication, that fiberglass tube 'bearing' lasted a long time but eventually wear is evident by the side to side play of the rudder. The solution was/is to add a layer of epoxy mixed with graphite powder to the inside of the tube. The method is described in the West System Epoxy Fiberglass Boat Maintenance and Repair manual. If the upper plastic 'bearing' is worn, any machine shop can make a new one based on the old one.

Apr 15, 2021
C&C 40-2 AC St John
It was built in 1983 so your assessment is most likely spot on. Thank you for the link I didn't know that repair manual even existed.

Thanks very much for your reply!

Sean