C&C 33 mk1 vs C&C 29 mk1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2012
Hunter 27 Lake of the Ozarks
Hello, does anyone have any feedback on the sailing charateristics of the C&C 33 mk 1 compared to the C&C 29 mk1? I'm looking to buy one of these two boats, and I live on an lake in Missouri where are winds are generally light and variable (under10-12 knots usually). A 29 owner told me she is tender even with the keel shoe, and the 29 I'm looking at has the standard 5'3" keel. But i'm not sure how much that will matter on a typical day on our lake.
Any help will be appreciated.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
C&C made great boats, very slippery as I recall. Longer means more room for you. Also faster theoretically. If both are OK for you, then regardless of length, it's like real estate: condition, condition, condition.

Good luck.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
C&C 33 mkI vs C&C 29 mkI

I sail a C&C 29 MKII which is a completely different design than the 29 mkI. I have sailed on and against the mkI and can tell you that she is a fast boat in the 10-12 knot wind range. You will not need additional ballast in the way of a keel shoe in those conditions. Just reef early when the wind is up (over 15 knots true) and when you begin to feel overpowered. The C&C 29 mkI is a big 29 footer but does not have as much room or speed as the 33 mkI. The 29 mkI is not as desirable as the 29 mkII and resale prices reflect that. Many of the 29 mkI's came with Atomic IV motors which to some potential buyers is a negative. General construction and execution is excellent in these early models. I've only been on a C&C 33 mkI once so I'm not real familiar with it vs the 29 but was impressed with its turn of speed (especially upwind) and the fit and finish. Nice lines too.

Status
Not open for further replies.