C&C 30-2 Buyer needs Owners to chime in please

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I am looking at an 88 30-2. My interest is in racing and cruising. Can anyone provide feedback on their experiences with these boats in racing and cruising? Anything to look for or to look out for in buying one?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Apr 19, 2010
Hylas 49 Sandusky, Ohio
In 2008 we bought a 38 ft 1975 C&C. It was originally setup for racing and still mostly in original condition. We love how the boat handles. It's very responsive, fast and points very well. Most importantly, it looks good.

With all these C&C's you should have an experienced surveyor look it over for wet core. Ours is cored hull and deck. The manufacturer left the core out of the areas where the thru hulls were placed so we didn't see any problem with wet core in the hull. The deck may be another issue where all of the deck hardware may go through core.

We had some wet core on the top of the transom but we cleaned out the wet wood, dried it out and backfilled it with filled epoxy. Any time we took a fitting off the deck and saw wood, we removed as much as possible, dried it if necessary and filled it with epoxy. Most of it was pretty minor stuff though. We've rebeded just about everything with butyl.

We removed all the rod rigging and took it to Navtec and they inspected it and reheaded all of it.

I didn't like the backing plates for the stanchions so I made new ones with 1/4 inch fiberglass plate from McMaster-Carr.

We did a ton of other things; too many to mention, mostly for our own entertainment.

scrubs

Sep 11, 2011
C&C 30 II 50 Point
JRacer, the 30 Mark II is a great boat for Cruising and Racing. The Aft cabin works well it looks tight but once you get the hang of getting in and out you will be fine. the boat cruises well lots of room and with the traveler on the cabin truck the cockpit is clean. We have been down Lake Erie and cruised all over Lake Ontario. She is fast and comfortable.
As to Racing she moves well and we perform below our PHRF numbers of 150 Spin and 165 NFS.
Sail management is critical on her. She has a high aspect rig with a very powerful main.
She can get over powered with a 1 and a full Main in the low teens. one reef or drop to the 2 which does not affect her speed.
We are on our second generation sail designs and they are all working very well. If you would like to discuss further let me know.

R

I am looking at an 88 30-2. My interest is in racing and cruising. Can anyone provide feedback on their experiences with these boats in racing and cruising? Anything to look for or to look out for in buying one?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Nov 8, 2011
none none none
JRacer, the 30 Mark II is a great boat for Cruising and Racing. The Aft cabin works well it looks tight but once you get the hang of getting in and out you will be fine. the boat cruises well lots of room and with the traveler on the cabin truck the cockpit is clean. We have been down Lake Erie and cruised all over Lake Ontario. She is fast and comfortable.
As to Racing she moves well and we perform below our PHRF numbers of 150 Spin and 165 NFS.
Sail management is critical on her. She has a high aspect rig with a very powerful main.
She can get over powered with a 1 and a full Main in the low teens. one reef or drop to the 2 which does not affect her speed.
We are on our second generation sail designs and they are all working very well. If you would like to discuss further let me know.

R
Scrubs, took a look at this boat. Concerned about the tight engine compartment. eg; tricky dipstick access. Would very much appreciate any comments re. your experience with engine maintenance and general access.
Is yours a Universal or Yanmar?

Thank you.
OM

Status
Not open for further replies.