C&C 29 Mkii ('84): rebedding traveler track

Sep 5, 2018
C&C 29 Mk ii Port Hadlock
I'm getting some rainwater into the galley area from underneath the well in the bridge deck in which the traveler is mounted.

Can anyone tell me whether that part of the bridge deck is cored?

Also, what would you use for bedding compound? I'm afraid to use 5200, since the well would, I have to believe, make any future removal even more difficult than it would be given a flat surface. Would butyl tape be a good idea for this application? Other recommendations?

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
I use to own a C&C 29-2 and changed out the stock traveler. The fiberglass under the traveler is not cored. Definitely do not use 5200, use butyl tape. Use a counter sink bit to make a depression at each bolt hole in the fiberglass so the butyl tape can make a better seal.

Sep 5, 2018
I use to own a C&C 29-2 and changed out the stock traveler. The fiberglass under the traveler is not cored. Definitely do not use 5200, use butyl tape. Use a counter sink bit to make a depression at each bolt hole in the fiberglass so the butyl tape can make a better seal.
Thanks very much. I definitely got the memo about counter-sinking. I've got a friend who has infinitely more experience in these matters than I (almost everyone does) who is skeptical of butyl, but I'm reading a lot to the contrary.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
Let you skeptical friend know that the hull to deck joint of your 35 year old boat uses butyl tape to seal it. It still remains pliable after all these years and will continue to keep the interior of your boat dry for a very long time. You can see the excess squeezing out from below.

Sep 5, 2018
Let you skeptical friend know that the hull to deck joint of your 35 year old boat uses butyl tape to seal it. It still remains pliable after all these years and will continue to keep the interior of your boat dry for a very long time. You can see the excess squeezing out from below.
I've ordered butyl tape from the Compass Marine/Maine Sailing fellow, who provides the nice pictorial instructions on its use.

It occurs to me to ask if you remember what the backing plate(s) consist of underneath the well in the bridge deck. I see a strip of wood running athwartships underneath the traveler track; is that ornamental, covering washers/plates and nuts? Are there holes for the bolts embedding in the wood?

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
If I remember correctly, that trim piece on the upper part of the backsplash conceals a gap at the top of the backsplash. The gap is there so you have access to the nuts that hold the traveler track in place. My boat had washers not a backing plate below the traveler. I think that it would be impossible to install a long backing plate at that location..

Sep 5, 2018
If I remember correctly, that trim piece on the upper part of the backsplash conceals a gap at the top of the backsplash. The gap is there so you have access to the nuts that hold the traveler track in place. My boat had washers not a backing plate below the traveler. I think that it would be impossible to install a long backing plate at that location..
Thanks again. Looking forward to getting at this.