C&C 27 MKV chainplate rebed

Mar 5, 2021
C&C 27 MKV Olympia, WA
Anybody done a rebed of their chainplate cover on a C&C 27 MKV. My port side is leaking a bit and I would like to review the process. Thanks.
Mike

Mar 5, 2021
C&C 27 MKV Olympia, WA
Thanks guys,
Yup, I knew about Butyl tape and have it on hand and, I have reviewed the process online, but my boat looks a bit different then most. On mine, it looks like the chainplate has to come up with the cover, which seems crazy to me. There is some sort of hardened substance between the cover and the plate. Make any sense?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Mike, you're welcome.

Got any pictures? That'd help us to help you.

Mar 5, 2021
C&C 27 MKV Olympia, WA
Here is a photo. If you zoom in to the chainplate you see something that was added with a caulk gun or what? It is solid. I did see an old post on a discontinued C&C association forum that said something about plastic. I would be interested in your take on this. And, looking at it, I doubt my small leak is coming from the chainplate but from the screws going through the plate and the bolts below. An easy fix might be to just remove the screws and butyl tape and re-insert.
Mike

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
That looks like the chain plate and cover are welded together.

Your idea to remove the screws and rebed those (without removing the chain plate) seems like a good “Plan A”.

Greg

Mar 5, 2021
C&C 27 MKV Olympia, WA
Yes, my thoughts exactly Greg! Not sure why that would be done, but there is an abandoned C&C (yes, very sad) in our marina and the chainplate cover looks the same. Must have been a C&C thing?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
As you can see in the link I provided, my chainplates move THROUGH the deck and are connected to tie rods down below that connect to the hull and supporting superstructure down below. The deck does not carry the load at all.

I am not an expert on chainplate design, and can only speak from my own experience. That said, it certainly seems odd that the chainplate itself appears to be welded to the deck cover plate, which means that all the load is imposed on the six bolts and that the deck would then have to carry the load.

Do you have any photos of what is underneath?

Do any of you with the same boat have this design?

Mar 5, 2021
C&C 27 MKV Olympia, WA
Mine passes through the deck just like yours and is bolted to the superstructure. The difference is that the plate on deck has a hard substance as the photo shows where the chainplate and cover come together. The deck does not support the shrouds.

Jan 7, 2011
As you can see in the link I provided, my chainplates move THROUGH the deck and are connected to tie rods down below that connect to the hull and supporting superstructure down below. The deck does not carry the load at all.

I am not an expert on chainplate design, and can only speak from my own experience. That said, it certainly seems odd that the chainplate itself appears to be welded to the deck cover plate, which means that all the load is imposed on the six bolts and that the deck would then have to carry the load.

Do you have any photos of what is underneath?

Do any of you with the same boat have this design?
I am just guessing that (hopefully) the chainplate also connects into some part of the structure...but also”sealed” to the deck by the flange.

Hard to believe that those 6 bolts and the deck carry the load unless it is substantially reinforced.

Agree we need to see what is under the deck...

But to the OP’s point, that flange does not look like it will come up to seal under it unless you do something to release the chainplates.

Greg

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
The load is carried by 6 stainless bolts going through the chainplate, through the 3/4" ply bulkhead and through the stainless backing plate you see on the main cabin side of the bulkhead.
The deck plate is Tig-welded to the chainplate.
Those six Phillips head fasteners gotta' be bolts. No way they'd use screws. Now I gotta' go down to the boat and find out!
MHauser Pull your floor boards and post up a pic of what's underneath if you get a chance, will you? :beer:

Mar 5, 2021
C&C 27 MKV Olympia, WA
The six Phillips head fasteners at the deck plate are indeed bolts and everything is accessible, the chainplate and the bolts from below. While most rebed processes allow for the lifting of the deck plate over the chainplate, the C&C 27 MKV is different. I just wanted to know if anyone had encountered this configuration. It can be done, just takes a little more work. Thanks all.
Mike

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
The chain plates would be supported below deck thru-bolted to a bulkhead with a backing plate. The one thing I would look out for is how secure is the bulkhead? On my Starwind, I found that the edges of the bulkhead were a bit damaged and it wasn't secured very well to the fiberglass hull structure. I reinforced the critical connections with hardwood, basically clamping the bulkheads to the reinforced fiberglass structure. It made the boat far stiffer.

Jan 7, 2011
So to rebed the chainplate, you have to support the mast, remove the 6 bolts and pull up the whole assembly, do whatever you are going to do to seal it, and then rebolt the assembly to the deck? Or the chain plate extends below the deck and is also bolted to a bulkhead?

:yikes:

I guess it isn’t that bad, but sort of a pain.

Greg

Mar 5, 2021
C&C 27 MKV Olympia, WA
Yes Greg, that would be the procedure for a complete job. I plan on just undoing the Philips screws on the deck plate that have a nut underneath them and rebeding them. Then tightening them back down to see if that resolves my leak. If it does not, then a complete job will be in order.
Also to answer Scott T-Bird, the backing plate on my boat is not just in the bulkhead but also part of the boats superstructure (fiberglass). They are solid.