C&C 25 Mk 1

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
There's a C&C 25 MkI out in Clear Lake that sails in Galveston Bay almost every time I'm out there on weekends. I own and sail a Catalina 25 (tall rig), which is supposed to be more of a cruiser, less of a racer. For some reason, I was able to keep up with this guy pretty well until we both decided to round up. He didn't outpoint me, but he was definitely faster. C&Cs are built heavier and more stable than Catalinas, especially those of the smaller line of boats (25-30 ft.). This extra weight along with the deeper fin keel gave that boat the advantage upwind. It wasn't until the reach/downwind legs I was able to catch up to them. My boat has a thinner, more basic design that makes her fast on these legs. Her shorter fin keel and 150 genoa also helps downwind. This being said, I have no clue how experienced her captain was. I myself have been sailing for ten years, racing competitively for seven. That may have been the only reason I was able to sort of keep up with that guy. From my understanding, the C&C 25 MkII was a faster and more efficient design. I've never sailed against one of those before, but I've heard their PHRF rating is pretty close to that of a San Juan 24 (another fast boat).

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
There was one in our fleet years ago. I believe it was rated around 220. It did very well in PHRF racing spinnaker class. The skipper is a good sailor and he worked the boat hard. It is also the case that he owned the boat for many years and drove it like it was part of him. I sailed with him on it for several races. I couldn't observe any one thing that made him faster than other sailors but he did a lot of little things right. I wish I could remember some of his tips but it was twenty years ago. I think his was an outboard, or at least I don't remember an inboard.

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
Yeah I know about the SJ24 raced one for several years. Looking for something to set up singlehanded.
Found this write up about Mk 1...
Sailing Character:
In short, amazing! The 25 would be considered a stiff, dry boat. It carries full canvas after most are reducing. Also, I have never had our bow punch under a wave, even when beating across a 15 mile stretch in a 35-40 knot wind. Excellent bouyancy. In club racing the boat will point higher than most 23-27 ft. boats. The boat is efficient in a light breeze and a show-off in a blow. Also, downwind, under spinnaker you will pass most 25 ft. boats.
The boat is an ideal weekend cruiser for a couple, and can be easily handled by two; or singlehanded. The Autohelm 800 complements the boat very well and effectively drives it in 30 knot gusts (have the sails balanced).
25 foot Owners Comments

C&C 25 Mk 1 219
C&C 25 Mk II 216
CATALINA 25 FK TM 222
SAN JUAN 24 219
( The listing covers reports from affiliated fleets
to USPHRF for the period March 1995 to June 2008.)
I do like the MkII 'cause - bridgedeck. But Mk 1 has longer boom better to code 6.