C&C 1979 Spinnaker Halyard Rigging Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 30, 2009
C&C 1979 C&C 30 Mk I Annapolis
When I purchased my boat (1979 C&C 30 MK I) a few years ago the spinnaker halyard had been run outside the mast by a previous owner for reasons unknown even though the mast is clearly designed to have it run inside. It works fine as is and so does the sheave that it passes over at the top of the mast.

Mysteriously, there is also a messenger line run up inside the mast through the vacant lower mast entry hole where the Spin Halyard should be up to the top of the mast and back down again on the outside tied together making a loop.

I know this defies the "if it ain't broke don't fix it mantra"... But what I would like to do is put the Spin Halyard back inside the mast just to keep it from flogging against the side of the mast, so I don't hear that constant "ding ding ding" noise every time I'm out sailing and at the dock on breezy days.

Here's my question:

If the sheave at the top of the mast is working. And I can use the existing messenger that's inside the mast now to feed the bitter end up to the top of the mast and then back down inside where I want it. What pitfalls could I encounter while doing this?

- Could there have been any "good" reason to have run the Spin Halyard outside the mast in the first place, like something inside the mast being amiss?

- Are there any internal guides inside the mast that the halyard could get snagged on or is the mast just a big open hollow tube inside?

- Is there any likelihood that the messenger that's currently in the mast isn't run into the right hole at the top of the mast or through the correct internal path?

Any experienced rigger suggestions would be greatly appreciated ! :)

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The most obvious reason the halyard is outside the mast is so the foredeck crew can "jump" it without going back to the cockpit. Another reason is that the P.O. probably wanted a swiveling halyard block at the mast head, not possible with internal halyards.

I'd just the existing messenger to run an additional jib halyard and leave the spin halyard the way it is.

If the only reason you want to change it to the internal rig is to stop the slapping... do what everyone else does: cleat it to the spinnaker pole ring on the mast and flop the doubled halyard behind the spreaders, then pull it tight.

Or just pull the halyard away from the mast with a short piece of line or shock cord. ( tie it to the shroud).

Have you seen this site: www.cncphotoalbum.com

Status
Not open for further replies.