C-38 Doors vs. Hatch Boards

• Thread starter Mike Silverthorne
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Silverthorne

Has anyone installed aftermarket door way?? which kind, where did you did it and do you like it?? I'm concidering this mod...Thanks for any help and info

C

Charlie Gruetzner

Doors

Mike, I put companionway doors on my C-27 this year and am very pleased. they look great, and a lot less hassle ( especially after you have locked up the boat and realized you forgot something down below). They are not that difficult to install if you have some mechanical ability. I did mine in about 1- 1 1/2 hours. I bought them through Planet Catalina. Bly and Phil are a real pleasure to work with. Good luck Charlie Gruetzner Angels' Grace

H

Hayden Watson

Doors are the best!

I have bi-fold doors on my C30 and can't amagine using drop boards again. Some people say they are not as "safe" as drop boards in extreme conditions so I keep the boards on board. But on the other hand, I am much more likely to close the doors while sailing than to put in the drop boards. Get them they are great!! Hayden Watson S/V Papillon, C30 Spokane WA

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Doors are cool!

I'm considering this myself (although I just varnished my boards & they sure are purdy!). It's really more a matter of monetary timing, if you know what I mean. Boards are so laborious, plus, mine leak like a seive. Doors are easy! As Hayden mentioned, there is concern about doors in rough conditions so you might want to ask yourself how often you have the risk/opporunity of getting into that kind of weather. My folks have a Cascade 36 & they had a drop board & doors. This was convenient for entering and exiting during stormy conditions. When it wasn't stormy we'd just take out the drop board. Granted the C38s companionway is different but it's something to think about. LaDonna

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
And not only that...

...the guy who builds them for Planet Cat sails a C-380, so you can bet they'll fit right!

D

David "Odie" Odine

Hatch Board vs. Children

After deciding on a Cat 36, and discovering the Doors in the Planet Catalina store I had the same question as to safety as well. But I have a seven-year-old daughter who is going to struggle with boards or always depend on someone else's help to get below. I am planning to keep the weather boards handy for those "extreme" conditions leaving the doors for the more common "normal" conditions. Perhaps the builders of the doors would like to join in this discussion and support the safety (or not) of their product. I intend to install the doors for the ease of passage below, but ANY discussion regarding safety should be pursued. Happy Sailing, ODIE

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Getting the builder online

Mike is on vacation right now, but he has three children and a C-380 with doors so he'll have some good opinions on this. I also sailed with kids and Mike's doors. I also carried my hatchboards with me in case of serious weather or seas, but frankly, I see no reason why the doors would be any less sturdy. In normal conditions I would keep the hatchboards in fairly deep storage, lift off the doors and lay them on the aft berth, and leave the companionway open (with the slider closed) for easy access. In terms of general safety, the doors lift off their hinges, but can be fastened together from the outside for stability. The slider covers the top of the doors, holding then in place in the same manner as the hatchboards. I suppose the only structural difference might be the breaking-strength of the hatchboard material vs the door material. I would expect the boards would be tougher, but in conditions where that would be a factor, the hatchboards could slide in easily enough. ph.

H

Hayden Watson

lift off hinge?

It apears that the planet Cat. doors may have different hardware than my doors. My hinges have a spring loaded pin that holds them in place. to remove the door you must pull the pin of one hinge up. They can't acidentally fall off. when sailing in moderate contitions I use a bungee cord to the dodger frame to hold them open and keep them from banging around. I also have a seven year old daughter and she has no problems opening the door as long as the sliding hatch is open about 1". The reason I said they might not be as safe is that if you get pooped the wave could break the glass. Hayden Watson S/V Papillon

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Mine are a few years old

Mike may be using different hardware now, but I really like being able to lift them off when the slider is open. I suppose the plexi could break from a good pooping, but I'd want to switch over to the hatchboards long before that became possible.

M

Mike Silverthorne

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for your response, just one more thing is there a pic of the bifolds anywhere?? Looks like I need to start on my xmas list early.. Thanks again Mike s/v C-38 Chute the Breeze Michigan City, IN

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Bi-fold may be extinct

I seem to recall that Mike said he was no longer making the bi-fold style, but I'll look around here for a photo. If I can find one I'll post it in the Foto Forum and reference it here. ph.

H

Hayden Watson

lift off hinge II

Phill, don't get my wrong. My doors come off in a second. They just wont come off unless I want them to. The pin is spring loaded with a knurled end that you pull up to release. You are right, in conditions where I could get pooped, I would put in the drop boards. Hayden Watson

Status
Not open for further replies.