C-310 Diagram

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 2005 36 MK II (1656) Lake Texoma
Doctor's Orders is a 2005 model year, hull 299 with factory A/C installed under the V-Berth mattress. The inlet is under the forward most removable floor board in the main salon off to the left. You will need a flashlight to locate it the first time.

Best of luck.

Fair winds.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Doctor's Orders is a 2005 model year, hull 299 with factory A/C installed under the V-Berth mattress. The inlet is under the forward most removable floor board in the main salon off to the left. You will need a flashlight to locate it the first time.

Best of luck.

Fair winds.
That is exactly where mine is on Amazing Grace. I found it yesterday afternoon.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
"forward most removable floor board in the main salon off to the left". What? We only have one removable floor board in the salon. Any pics?

KZW

May 17, 2014
"forward most removable floor board in the main salon off to the left". What? We only have one removable floor board in the salon. Any pics?
There are two in my boat. to be more precise, there is a single opening with two hatches, one forward and one aft. The first picture is of the forward removable floor board. It covers the bilge pump. The second removable board is to the stern for the first and it covers the A/C filter.

Attachments

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2014
Catalina 310 Guntersville, Alabama
Thanks for posting the diagram. It is very helpful for new 310 owners.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Version 4 of the diagram attached. The refrigerator compressor is located way in the starboard stern, to starboard of the fuel tank.

I opened up the fuel tank to pump out a suspected accumulation of water (there was very little). While half way into that space to reach the bolts holding the fuel tank gauge sender, and the compressor started up. It is real nice to have A/C when working on the boat on a 95 degree day, 94% humidity, and water temperature 88 degrees. I used a fan to push the air into the rear bunk area (where the access hatch to the fuel tank, holding tank, hot water tank, rudder stock, and a/c compressor is located.

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
There are two in my boat. to be more precise, there is a single opening with two hatches, one forward and one aft. The first picture is of the forward removable floor board. It covers the bilge pump. The second removable board is to the stern for the first and it covers the A/C filter.
So our boat has that as a single board but the same amount of access when it's removed. I wonder if your PO did that? I did a similar thing to the boards in the rear berth for easier access.

Relative to what you have in your bilge: 1) where you have the strainer for your AC unit, we have nothing. Open space. I was thinking about adding some wine bottle storage there. I can get 3 bottles; 2) wow that's a lot of wires. What are they all for? 3) you have a check valve on your bilge pump. Ditch that soon! Disaster waiting to happen; and 4) what's under the wires in the forward section of the bilge?

I don't have any pics of this part of my bilge. I will have to take some to show the slight differences I have.

Thanks,

JK

KZW

May 17, 2014
3) you have a check valve on your bilge pump. Ditch that soon! Disaster waiting to happen; and
4) what's under the wires in the forward section of the bilge?

Thanks,

JK
3) WILCO

4) I don't know. I've hand the boat for exactly 5 weeks and am working on other higher priority items.

Jun 30, 2010
Catalina 310 Bristol RI
JK

No check valve? If I don't have a check valve, my bilge pump will cycle on and off forever, the way my float switch for the bilge pump set up? Do you have a different set up for the float switch?

KM

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
It is possible that that you are seeing the compressor for the refrigerator in the aft starboard area outboard/above the fuel tank. That's how hull #218 is outfitted.

KZW

May 17, 2014
It is possible that that you are seeing the compressor for the refrigerator in the aft starboard area outboard/above the fuel tank. That's how hull #218 is outfitted.
Thank you very much for bringing that up!!! I shall check the lines. I never thought of the refrigerator. It is just that it came on directly after lowering the thermostat on the A/C.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
JK No check valve? If I don't have a check valve, my bilge pump will cycle on and off forever, the way my float switch for the bilge pump set up? Do you have a different set up for the float switch? KM
Here is what Rule has on their website about check valves:

Check valves are prohibited by the American Boat & Yacht Council for use as an anti-siphon device-and with good reason: They're notorious for failing in both the open and the closed position, which respectively leads to flooding or failure to pump. If the valve is close to the pump, the pump may not be able to overcome the weight of the water on the other side of the valve, rendering the pump ineffective.

Catalina installed a bronze check valve in my boat, hull 65. After I removed it there was slightly more cycling. But not endless cycling.

Long term fix is a diaphragm pump with an electronic float switch setup with a delay so it clears.

Jun 30, 2010
Catalina 310 Bristol RI
Good points on the check valve. I know they decrease the GPM of the pump also, so I would rather not use one.

But I don't see how the cycling would not be endless. When the float switch stops the pump, all the water in the hose flows back in and retriggers the switch. It is always going to be the same amount of water in the hose that is flowing back into the bilge.

Can you explain what you mean by a delay in the switch setup? I was thinking of putting the float switch higher up in the bilge. Would that help?

KZW, sorry if I am hijacking this thread. I probably should have started a new one.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Good points on the check valve. I know they decrease the GPM of the pump also, so I would rather not use one.

But I don't see how the cycling would not be endless. When the float switch stops the pump, all the water in the hose flows back in and retriggers the switch. It is always going to be the same amount of water in the hose that is flowing back into the bilge.
I think you might be over estimating the amount of water in the line and how much will flow back into the bilge. In a 12 foot length of bilge hose (3/4 inch on smaller Rule pumps) there is less than 1/3 of a gallon. When you spread that out over the bilge that probably a 1/2 inch or less. So that wouldn't be enough to activate the pump. Rule float switches turn on at 2.5 inches of water and turn off at 1.125, so a 1/2 inch of water backflow would only be 1.625 inches.

Can you explain what you mean by a delay in the switch setup? I was thinking of putting the float switch higher up in the bilge. Would that help?
With something like the electronic water witch float switches [https://www.waterwitchinc.com/new/SiteElements/Pages/SecondaryPages/Products/BilgeSwitches.html] (217 and 230 models are considered good). There is a delay of 14 seconds after it senses water before it shuts off. With our relatively shallow bilges it would pump it down as far as possible before turning off. That would clear even more of the line. For a manual style float switch the Ultra Safety are supposed to be really good http://www.tefgel.com/contain.php?param=pumpswitch_price). They have a high differential option that would also work to make sure you don't have a lot of cycling.

KZW, sorry if I am hijacking this thread. I probably should have started a new one.
Yes, sorry for the hijack.

Bottom line for me is that when I am done redoing this system, anything with the name "Rule" will be off my boat.

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Great Diagram !!!
Slight difference from my 2003 but it made me have a second look
:eek: over the entire boat.

Cheers and Thanks
2 Old Pirates

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
I've been going through Amazing Grace making a diagram of the location of various equipment. I thought others might like to have it as a start on where things are in their boats.

I'd be most appreciative if 310 owners would chime in on things I've missed so I can update the diagram. In particular:
- Seacocks. I know I'm missing the seacock for the air conditioner inlet. I've been unable to trace the hose back to it from the filter.
- Other through hulls.
- The fuel cut off switch which is supposed to be somewhere near the fuel tank. If anyone has a photo, please post it.

In the future, as time permits, I'm going to attempt to make another diagram with plumbing lines and then one with electrical wiring. I find the drawings in the owners manual to be lacking. I should live so long. Don't hold your breath!
---------------
I've posted the most recent update, v5, here so you don't need to go searching through the thread (v5 adds the Master Breaker for the 30 Amp AC Power
Great help. Many many thanks.

Clyde Thorington
C310 #245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

KZW

May 17, 2014
Don't you wish Catalina had included an accurate diagram in the manual????

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Don't you wish Catalina had included an accurate diagram in the manual????
Curious. What info do you find lacking?

Other than the AC related parts, which weren't installed by Catalina, all of the other info was in my owners manual.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Curious. What info do you find lacking?

Other than the AC related parts, which weren't installed by Catalina, all of the other info was in my owners manual.
Well, I have sail number 310. The macerator plumbing and seacock location, as shown in the manual, is incorrect. In addition, a Y valve shown in the manual was eliminated with the arrangement in my boat. Some of the wiring is not where it is depicted in the manual. Clearly, changes were made in production and the manual was not updated.

I have some experience with technical manuals. I believe with a minimum of effort, Catalina could have done much better.