C-30 motoring speed

Jul 20, 2020
Catalina C-30 Noank
1 minute ago

I purchased a C-30 late last season. 1989 hull #5355. My last trip I had no other option but to motor for 6

hours.

Even once I got off LI Sound and headed up the calm Ct. River at 2000 RPM best I could do is 5 knots (at best).

Two questions. The original owner told me not to run over 2000 RPM but everyone I talk to say 2400-2500 RPM is not a problem with

the M25XP your thoughts?

Also would a 3 bladed prop make a difference?

Thank you, John

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The first two clarifying questions are: Is that GPS speed, or speed through the water ? and what is thje condition of the bottom and the prop?
Based on this attachment, 2400-2500 RPM is fine for that engine.
M25XPB.pdf (torresen.com)

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020
Catalina C-30 Noank
Hi,

GPS speed. The boat was in the water for only 5 1/2 months bottom was painted with Interlux CSC and prop

was cleaned and sprayed with antifoul prop guard.

Aug 21, 2019
Catalina 315 18 Grosse Pointe Park, MI
I always heard that you can comfortably cruise at 80% of the maximum RPM of a diesel. According to the information sheet, I found on the Internet, the maximum is 3200 RPM. So, 80% of 3200 is 2560 RPM. Also, how fast is the river current? That will slow you down for sure.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
GPS speed can be misleading because it does not take currents into account, or show boat speed through the water. I am not familiar with that area, but any tidal current may be subtracting from GPS speed .. or adding to it.. Sounds like the underwater stuff is clean, so the next questions would be: has the engine speed been verified compared to the tachometer reading? and what is the prop pitch and diameter compared to another Cat 30 with same engine and transmission gear ratio?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Two questions. The original owner told me not to run over 2000 RPM but everyone I talk to say 2400-2500 RPM is not a problem with

the M25XP your thoughts?
Nonsense.

Engines 101 - The BIGGEST & BEST collection of M25 Series Universal Engine Information on the Internet, plus some M35, too :)

Diesel Engine - c34.org

I have an M25, 2 hp less, essentially the same engine, I run at 2600-2800 (3000 wot) all the time. I have owned this boat for 24 years.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I have a 1988 C30 with the M25XP and get 5.4 - 5.6 knots at 1900 RPM with clean prop and bottom. I get 6.4 at 2400 but do not like the sound. Might be doing more of that 2400 stuff this year after I finish replacing the motor mounts and fully sound insulating the engine compartment. :dancing:

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
There are many rivers that cannot be navigated against the current with a sailboat. The fact that you were making 5 kts is positive. Even with the tide behind you, rivers can be tricky. Next opportunity, check you speed up river and then about. You should acquire a good understanding of how the river affects your boat.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA

the M25XP your thoughts?

Also would a 3 bladed prop make a difference?
Let examine the data sheet provided by @kloudie1 (always a helper).
Universal.JPG

WOT - Wide open throttle is identified as 3000. That is what the wizard @Stu Jackson stated and he has years of experience.

Jumping back to the questions - Prop - 3 blade?
That is a personal choice. I would base the selection on the type of cruising you are considering. If you are constantly in conditions that the wind is fickle then you might want to emphasize the auxiliary power and maximize your prop performance. The 3 blade prop is identified as a smoother prop in action.

If you are focusing your sailing on racing or maximizing your sail performance perhaps you want a 2 blade either fixed or folder. The fixed can be set to hide behind the keel reducing the prop drag while sailing.

Your boat your choice. Ain't America Great....

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Let examine the data sheet provided by @kloudie1 (always a helper).
View attachment 192220

WOT - Wide open throttle is identified as 3000. That is what the wizard @Stu Jackson stated and he has years of experience.

Jumping back to the questions - Prop - 3 blade?
That is a personal choice. I would base the selection on the type of cruising you are considering. If you are constantly in conditions that the wind is fickle then you might want to emphasize the auxiliary power and maximize your prop performance. The 3 blade prop is identified as a smoother prop in action.

If you are focusing your sailing on racing or maximizing your sail performance perhaps you want a 2 blade either fixed or folder. The fixed can be set to hide behind the keel reducing the prop drag while sailing.

Your boat your choice. Ain't America Great....
FYI, the OP's engine is an M25XP not M25XPB and they have a different block and more horsepower. They both do have the same WOT so other than a bit less power, the advise for one applies to the other. Mostly this becomes an issue when you get parts because they ain't the same thing. FYI to get parts that are not a part of the marine conversion, the M25XP is a Kubota D950 engine and you can get part cheaper at the Kubota dealer ship and much cheaper on line. A full overhaul kit is only $450 or so.
M25XP spec.png

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thanks for the clarity Hayden. I was a little confused as to why the Previous Owner said “Don’t go over 2000 RPM”. Perhaps it is the 0.5 per gallon fuel consumption. Perhaps the motor really rumbles. Or there is a problem with fuel flow. Very confused.

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
There are many rivers that cannot be navigated against the current with a sailboat. The fact that you were making 5 kts is positive. Even with the tide behind you, rivers can be tricky. Next opportunity, check you speed up river and then about. You should acquire a good understanding of how the river affects your boat.
I agree with this comment. I have a C-30 with a different engine, but 5 knots GPS against current and/or tide might be good. Regardless of the engine and prop combo, you’re not going to push a 5 ton sailboat much more than 6-6.5 knots speed through water. Running the boat up and about would give you a good indication of how much you’re losing to the current.
After you understand that factor, there are lots of good tips in this thread to optimize your setup.