C-18 or P-18 which would you reccomend?

Apr 18, 2023
catalina 18 casco
Hi, I’m new to the forum. I’m starting my reasonably priced sailboat adventure. I’m down to either the Precision 18 or Catalina 18. It will be moored at a marina.
Help me Obi Wan!!!!
Thank you in advance.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Welcome to SBO.

I'd pick the Precision 18. It was designed by Jim Taylor who knows how to design fast easy sailing boats. He designed most if not all of the Precision boats and a several boats for Sabre Yachts.

To be fair, I am a bit biased as I own a Jim Taylor designed boat. :)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Both lines are still in production and both are very popular...so parts should be easy to find. Are you able to test sail them both?

What conditions are the sails? The OB? The Trailer? Have either had any significant upgrades?

Apr 18, 2023
catalina 18 casco
Thanks for the reply! Both are dry dock. I had an 1987 C-22, stepping the mast was a chore. Both owners say the sails are I. Good shape. They have roller furlings which is nice. C-18 was moored in ocean, P-18 lake. Trailers appear to reflect their habitat. Little rusty on the C-18.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Lol!!! The C-18 has nice lines and it feels really solid.
Guess that's the one you should buy. Both boats are from reputable builders. Both will sail reasonably well, probably with differences too small really notice or care about. So, assuming both boats are in equal condition and comparably priced. Go with the one that warms your heart.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I had a Starwind 19 which is a sister ship to the P18. Jim Taylor did an awesome job on the interior layout. The only reason I upgraded is because that little boat was being tossed around in Lake Michigan waves like crazy. It was only 1350 lbs before adding people and gear. It was a very well made boat. There might be some info on Jim's website regarding the P18. Unfortunately Precision made the decision to discontinue their boat manufacturing but they still sell parts.

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
P18/starwind 19
I liked mine. As Project_Mayhem stated earlier, they get tossed around a bit, but so will a c18. Decent build quality. They sail well. They are affordable.

Attachments

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Both lines are still in production and both are very popular...so parts should be easy to find. Are you able to test sail them both?

What conditions are the sails? The OB? The Trailer? Have either had any significant upgrades?
Precisions are no longer in production but one of the Porter brothers is still selling parts in Sarasota. I traded e mails with him about 6 weeks ago,he confirmed he still is. As a former owner of a both a P18 and a 23 my vote is for Precision. Loved them both.