bvi charter company advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2006
catalina 25, 30 montauk / manhattan
planning first caribbean bareboat (tortola). moorings recommended by friend but open for suggestions.. just girlfriend and I.

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 340 St Andrews Bay
For your first time, I suggest Horizon. They are smaller and very personable. If you want, they can do more "hand holding" or they can "let you be".

Sep 4, 2010
Beneteau Mooring 352 PUERTO LA CRUZ
lewis,
When are you planning to sail. I bought a Beneteau 351 (ex-Horizon). and I am planing to bring/sail from Tortola to Venezuela, passing through the leeward island and windward island. You may be interested..?

Jeff

Sep 29, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Carlyle Lake in Central Illinois
I would stay with a first tier company for your initial trip. It'll be a bit more expensive however. The boats will be newer and more staff will be at hand to walk you through the process. Our first BVI trip was low stress because we went with people that had already made the trip several times. Something you might consider. We currently use a second tier company (read less expensive) and have found it a bit more stream lined and we don't mind a well cared for 6 or 8 year old boat. What ever you decide book the trip 6-9 months in advance to make certain you get the boat and flights you want. I just booked our June trip.

Sep 4, 2010
Jeff.,
I am saying that if any one want to use my sail boat, free. But need to bring her to Venezuela. You will pay the airpalne ticket back home from Venezuela. The boat is fully equiped. She is 1994, kind a old..but in good conditions. Have dinghy 12 caribe with 15 hp Yamaha. A/C cary on. Radar Raymarine, chart plotter, etc. If you come alone with your family, okey..or if you are only two (couple) I could sail along with may wife (so to be two couple), then we can share 50% expoenses as food, diesel, marinas along the way, etc. The plan is leave Tortola, Virgern Gorda, St. Marteen, St. Barth, Antigua, St. Vibent & The Granadenes, Martinique, Guadalupe, Caricou, Granada, Margarita, finally Puerto La Crz, Venezuela..( all in 15 days approx.)

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
I used Footloose for a Catamaran charter; very nice boat that had been in previous service with Moorings (they own Footloose) - but this boat looked near new. Have also chartered with Sunsail. I have read that BVI yacht charter is an excellent company with great service and boats. No personal experience.

Jul 28, 2010
Boston Whaler Montauk New Orleans
My wife and I have used Sunsail at various places, including the BVIs. We've always had great experience with them.

Sep 21, 2010
Hunter wanting 25 or 27 it would be Lake Dillon
Avoid Horizon Yacht Charters

For your first time, I suggest Horizon. They are smaller and very personable. If you want, they can do more "hand holding" or they can "let you be".
I would have to say, after my experience...Avoid Horizon Yacht Charters!!!

In my opinion, they were unprofessional...the boat we chartered was switched at the last minute, the boat was not ready....

we pointed out a possible steering issue we were concerned about to the Ops Mgr, he told us it was not an issue and "normal" for this boat...and changed the subject...ran very late...inventory list incomplete...water not filled...

once underway we found that the Port side jib sheet was not even tied onto the jib, the dinghy motor would not tilt up....even with two men helping..., the bilge pump did not work, no cotter pins in the stays, fridge not working properly, the main sail would not drop smoothly into the Lazy Jacks, but instead would stick and only fall about 1/4 of the way... wd-40 can was empty...

serious steering issues... many times, even with the steering held hard over for several minutes, the rudder would fail to respond at all...

anything can go wrong....but they claim to double check everything...not so in our case!!! and the worst part....we pointed the steering issue we suspected out to them....and he lied in our opinion....

so never again will I charter with Horizon.....never!:cry:

Sep 21, 2010
Moonshine & Dr's Orders

I would have to say, after my experience...Avoid Horizon Yacht Charters!!!

In my opinion, they were unprofessional...the boat we chartered was switched at the last minute, the boat was not ready....

we pointed out a possible steering issue we were concerned about to the Ops Mgr, he told us it was not an issue and "normal" for this boat...and changed the subject...ran very late...inventory list incomplete...water not filled...

once underway we found that the Port side jib sheet was not even tied onto the jib, the dinghy motor would not tilt up....even with two men helping..., the bilge pump did not work, no cotter pins in the stays, fridge not working properly, the main sail would not drop smoothly into the Lazy Jacks, but instead would stick and only fall about 1/4 of the way... wd-40 can was empty...

serious steering issues... many times, even with the steering held hard over for several minutes, the rudder would fail to respond at all...

anything can go wrong....but they claim to double check everything...not so in our case!!! and the worst part....we pointed the steering issue we suspected out to them....and he lied in our opinion....

so never again will I charter with Horizon.....never!:cry:

by the way ....we chartered Dr's Orders...and instead got Moonshine....would love to hear from anyone who recently chartered either boat....or who happen to know who Moonshine's owner is!

Salty

Dec 2, 2008
Catalina 390 14 Perth Amboy, NJ
Re: Moonshine & Dr's Orders

SweetSerenity, Sorry about your bad experience with Horizon. I ve had great experiences with Horizon, Sunsail and The Cat Co. Actually my first charter was with Sunsail (before they merged with Moorings) and I would recommend them or Moorings for first time charters.

Sep 4, 2010
Who is going to tortola and when... I am planning to go to Tortola to sail with my Beneteua 351. I will with my wife..any body fron this site desire to join, will be welcome, or if you are going with your own boat we can sail both.

Sep 4, 2010
My boat is in Nanny Cay Marina...So let me know any sailpartner who wants to sail during christmas..!

Sep 21, 2010
thanks!

SweetSerenity, Sorry about your bad experience with Horizon. I ve had great experiences with Horizon, Sunsail and The Cat Co. Actually my first charter was with Sunsail (before they merged with Moorings) and I would recommend them or Moorings for first time charters.
We are looking at many options....Sunsail requires that you sleep aboard the night before...not flexible....so HOT, no AIR in a slip...yuk!

Its great to get advice from people who have had both good and poor experiences...so we can get a feel for the Integrity of the company. I have consistently hear good things about BVY yacht charters.

I have mixed feelings about going through a charter agent. If we find one that is really good, stands by their customers, etc...It would be great! Someone who really knows the boats they are chartering, and adds value to your Charter...I think there are people out there like that...still looking for recommendations.... some give out the current BVI guide book, when you charter....such a wealth of information in there! I think I will have mine memorized soon, as much as I read it! LOL!!

Cant personally recommend Ed Hamilton...we were quite disappointed there...

Maybe it is best to go directly to the source...with the individual company!

Or perhaps buy some owner's time???

lots to consider!

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
BVI first charter

planning first caribbean bareboat (tortola). moorings recommended by friend but open for suggestions.. just girlfriend and I.
My group of 6 guys has chartered in the Caribean from several companies over more than 10 years. Some of us 20 years. The Mooring is the most responsible and best organized of any of the companies. Yes it costs a tad more, but the boats are newer, in excellent condition, clean and ready to use. They handle any problem immediately and no problem is too much for them to handle. When we booked a catamaran in the Bahamas and the prior charterer, severly damaged the boat just a couple of days before our date, they offered us a 51 footer at any other base in the caribean. They handled all the last minute airline changes, absorbed all extra charges, including extra airline charges. In short we said yes and they handled the rest. Hard to beat.

Feb 1, 2011
Sabre 426 Liberty Landing Marina
Moorings and Sunsail are now combined...Moorings purchased them although they may operate seperately. The company doesn't matter as much as getting a newer boat. Because BVI is the place most everyone initially bareboats and many of the people bareboating only sail once a year the boats get very, very beat up so you don't want even a 3 year old boat if you can help it. I'd go with Moorings and get a newer (1-2) year old boat...they put the boat dates on their website. That said BVI is easy sailing using DR, there are good charts and cruising guides and most boats have plotters as well. Don't sail after dusk.

Sep 20, 2010
Beneteau First 285 Cocagne Cape Marina
I have sailed The British Virgin Islands in 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 I used Moorings, Sunsail and Footloose charter they are all good, friendly and if something breaks they are very quick to come and fix it at your location in travel. I hope you have a great Trip.

http://beneteau285.webstarts.com

Jun 9, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Bayfield, WI
I have heard excellent things about Moorings too. I would advise you to avoid ProValor Charters. I used them in 2009 and was VERY unhappy with them. The boat had some issues which I understand (I am a charter boat owner myself) but the way they handled that and their customer service left a LOT to be desired. Besides, their location in Fat Hogs Bay is dismal and creepy.

Another good source for charter information in the BVI's is www.traveltalkonline.com. Check out the BVI forum. It is very active and you'll get lots of current information on things to do and see there.

Have a great time!

Mar 21, 2011
pearson 32 holland
We used Minnesota Northern Breezes to arrange for our flotilla out of TMM Tortola Marine Mgmt. They insulated us from TMM and all turned out good. Although, their preparation plans were inadequate, but once we arrived, loaded water, had the dingy loaded with fuel, all turned out very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.