BVI Bound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
My wife and I are heading to BVI in the spring. Any of you folks that have been there, please jump in and tell me where to go, how to get there and where to avoid.

Don

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My wife and I are heading to BVI in the spring. Any of you folks that have been there, please jump in and tell me where to go, how to get there and where to avoid.
This comes up several times a year. Do a search on the forum, and you'll get plenty of info.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Good point Ron but periodic reviews are necessary. I am not sure any of the previous chartering threads has any info on Pirates Bight burning down.

Don, are you chartering or staying on shore? Lots of info here you can search for regarding chartering. I can give you more info about staying on shore.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Wife and I were there a few years ago and chartered a Beneteau 40, Had an awesome time. Before we went, I went to Landfall Navigation on line and got a couple of books and charts for the area. One book showed photos and pilot instructions for ports/mooring balls etc.
I would highly recommend that. There are lots of places to sail to for every reason. We did Spanish town, bitter end, Cane Garden bay, Sopors Hole Etc. Rum Is cheaper than water..
Have a great time!

Nov 13, 2011
Oday 23 New River Az
Just got back 3 weeks ago. Who are you chartering with? It is always much cheaper to buy you provisions at the supermarket than it is to have them supplied for you. There is a rite-way right across the street from the Sunsail/Moorings base. If you can simply get to the base mid day and stay about that night before your charter. Then you can use the time to do your shopping.
Being there in low season this year you could really see how poorly maintained things were at most places. Spanish town in particular was a real dive. Also beware, it will cost you more than $100 a night for a slip there. It is amazing what a large number of people can do to make a place more hospitable.
Bitter end was nice, and is very well maintained, as is Saba Rock. Go to the Willy T after dark. There is usualy plenty of anchoring available, so try and choose that option, otherwise it is roughly $30 a night for a mooring ball.
When you check your boat out, pay special attention to; DC electrical system (make sure all your gizmos are going to charge), A/C if equipped (make sure both unit work if on a cat), Make sure dinghy will idle after being started for more than a minute or two. Run the stove top burners as well as the oven and broiler if you plan to use them at all. Run the mainsail up the track (loose the sheet first) as a lot of times they are very stiff (had manual winches this time and it was a chore to raise the main). Open all ports and make sure they will stay open (ours continually flopped closed, had to wedge them open). Bring your own mask and snorkel at the very least. Put the dinghy in the davits at night, keeps them from growing legs and wandering off, otherwise bring a cable and padlock it to the boat at night.
Regarding the heads; make sure that you operate them both before you leave, and that they work smoothly and easily, as there is a fee if they don't when you return them. Also check for weeping type leaks at the pump. You should be able to run a dry paper towel around hte base of the pump and have it come up dry.
Be sure to hit the Rhone, the baths, bitter end, Foxys. If you plan to put those on your route, everything else will fall into your path on the way.
stock up on cash. Working ATMs were somewhat of a nuisance to find this trip (though most places accept credit cards). Don't forget it about the fee to leave the island (over $100 for a family of 5).
Finally, just get there, sit down, relax, do your shopping, get to your first anchorage, then relax some more. Enjoy.

Apr 28, 2005
Oday 302 Lake Perry, KS
Cooper Island is a must

Sitting at the bar on Cooper Island....looking out over the water and the boats and the sun...with a coldie in your hand - it doesn't get much better than that.

And try Peter Island. Nice place to snorkle and very quiet.

You'll have a great time.

Nov 24, 2012
Sitting at the bar on Cooper Island....looking out over the water and the boats and the sun...with a coldie in your hand - it doesn't get much better than that. And try Peter Island. Nice place to snorkle and very quiet. You'll have a great time.
Cooper - one of our favorite places. Snorkeling is awesome. Also climbing over the hill to check out all the debris that's washed ashore.

Nov 9, 2008
I don't know ,offhand, the charter company. The admiral is doing the talking. But I do know its two gals that represent many boats. Almost seems like individuals renting their boats out through them. We plan on the first week of April. The boat we're looking at is a Beneteau 311. We sail a 25 so an extra 7 feet and 3 feet in the beam should be a little more challenging but still enjoyable. Its possible that we'll be joint by another couple so we might go a little bigger but I don't want to go beyond 35. I'm looking forward to it but not as much as my Mrs.

Don

Nov 24, 2012
For two couples I'd recommend a boat that has two heads. Also remember Drake Passage is not an inland lake and depending on the time of year it can be pretty windy.

Oct 6, 2009
Newport Newport 28 MKII Jacksonville, FL
late spring is a great time to go. Memorial Day Weekend is the music festival in Cane Garden Bay and we really enjoyed hanging out at anchor and listening to all the bands. Check full moon dates, too. Trellis Bay has a great full moon party, get there before noon to find a mooring. Conch Charters is a good bet if price is a concern. Moorings at the upper end. If you are dealing with independent charter brokers, confirm if they have chase boats to provide service if the event of a breakdown. 311 is too small for two couples. Maybe a Beneteau 361 or bigger and the two head suggestion is a very good one. Second checking out traveltalkonline.com. That is the best online BVI source you will find. As far as what to avoid, reefs are a good start. Have a great time.

May 10, 2004
Catalina 30 Puget Sound
Make sure the autopilot works when picking up the boat. Made that mistake. SS

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Make sure the autopilot works when picking up the boat. Made that mistake. SS
AP is really not needed. No crossings more than a couple hours and as long as you have someone who can steer into the wind when raising/dousing sails.

Ours was kaput on our boat last March and we never missed it. Certainly not worth delaying your departure from base to get repaired. I also do not think the companies guarantee a working AP.

BTW, if you are still in the planning process I highly recommend working with Ed Hamilton's. They should be able to get a a deal on a boat with a major player as good as a deal through an independent. And it being your first time, you should go with an outfit that can properly support your trip.

http://www.ed-hamilton.com/

Nov 9, 2008
TJ,

I don't get the reference about the lake thing. I've never sailed a lake, well once and the wind was nonexistent. We sail the coast of Maine exclusively, eat your heart out. 20 knots is no problem. 25 gets me worried a little.

Nov 24, 2012
TJ, I don't get the reference about the lake thing. I've never sailed a lake, well once and the wind was nonexistent. We sail the coast of Maine exclusively, eat your heart out. 20 knots is no problem. 25 gets me worried a little.
t

Didn't realize you were a costal sailor - sorry for the inference. Depending on the time of year you can expect 20 and maybe more - a bigger boat will make for a comfortable ride. Most people do the trip counterclockwise and where it might get a little wild for you is between Virgin Gorda and Jost. FYI the Dogs which are on the way have fabulous snorkeling.

Nov 17, 2011
Hunter 306 Chester Basin, Nova Scotia
My wife, daughter and I are going this Christmas, booked through Ed Hamilton which seems very good so far. Chartering a Hunter 36 through CYOA out of the USVI and sailing through the BVI. Very excited... Anyone else use CYOA?

Apr 28, 2005
Oday 302 Lake Perry, KS
Two heads, bigger boat

I don't know ,offhand, the charter company. The admiral is doing the talking. But I do know its two gals that represent many boats. Almost seems like individuals renting their boats out through them. We plan on the first week of April. The boat we're looking at is a Beneteau 311. We sail a 25 so an extra 7 feet and 3 feet in the beam should be a little more challenging but still enjoyable. Its possible that we'll be joint by another couple so we might go a little bigger but I don't want to go beyond 35. I'm looking forward to it but not as much as my Mrs.

Don
I, too would recommend two heads if there's two couples. And don't be afraid of a bigger boat. We sail a 30 footer but we rented 40's each of our two times (getting a 40 again in March).

It'll look a LOT bigger when you first get on it - but don't let it intimidate you. It's all the same principles - it's just that everything is bigger. You get used to it very quickly. And a bigger boat will ride better if you get some wind and some chop. You'll also like the extra room in the cabin and, most importantly, in the cockpit.

PKFK

Jul 12, 2004
Hunter 36 Ottawa
I can also highly recommend a bvi forum:

http://forums.bvipirate.com

Lots and lots of good, current info on those forums..

If you are going to Anegada, that site also sells an excellent detailed approach chart which is perfect for the approach thru all the coral heads into Anegada. The site owner lives part of the year in Texas and part on Anegada, and he is very willing to answer questions - so you can get advance local knowledge.

Been down 3x chartering - highly recommend it - have fun !!!!

(If you can plan to be down for a full moon, then try to get to trellis bay for the full moon party - absolutely great, and even family friendly. )

Paul

Feb 22, 2004
Hunter H340 Michigan City
Why don't people just do their own booking we did you work them a bit but get a good deal. Everything in life is negotiable just ask you will be surprised. OH except death.

Status
Not open for further replies.